SMB Share - no access

cap

Contributor
I am not sure what exactly happened. I can no longer access my datasets after the last update. Have tried many things and can't find the solution.
It could possibly be this problem:

The directory under /mnt/ where I mount the pools for my SMB shares didn't have an ACL for the group that I put my SMB users in. I added an ACL entry to that directory to give that group (smbusers) read permissions, left "inherit" unset, and did not apply recursively because I didn't want the subfolders that are SMB shared to have their ACLs messed up. This fixed it. Wooooow.

I tested by SSH to my box, then su to a user that is a member of the group "smbusers". I attempted to ls the directory that the pool that is shared is mounted in and was unable to due to permissions. I added the above ACL and was able to ls /mnt/ and the SMB shared directory, touch a dummy test file in the SMB shared directory, delete the dummy test file, and mount the SMB share on Mac and Windows 10.

However, since I am a beginner I don't want to keep playing around and do something wrong. I have already played around. I would be happy if someone could help me.
I have also considered installing Ubuntu or OMV with ZFS to try this route. But I am not sure if this will help.

Last edited:

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Can you PM me a debug? System->Advanced->Save Debug. I will glance through the SMB section and see if there's something simple that might help.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
One troubleshooting step I often use is checking which credentials are being used by SMB client to authentication midclt call smb.status AUTH_LOG | jq should show recent access attempts along with usernames. You can also run the command smbclient //127.0.0.1/<share_name> -U <username> to explicitly try authenticating as a particular user.

The actual ACLs written the filesystem will _never_ change during an upgrade. Failure to authenticate post-upgrade may indicate that SMB service failed to initialize properly (no users in "pdbedit -L" output) or that client is sending wrong user account.

cap

Contributor
Thank you very much. I have sent a PM. The link above was wrong and is now corrected.