SMB Share issue for new users

Aubrey

Cadet
I recently setup a new TrueNAS Core system (version 13.0-U1.1) and setup two generic user accounts (no special permissions). I then setup a SMB share and it has been working perfectly. I create files on one computer using one account, and another computer is able to access those files using the other account.

Today, I setup a third machine and a third user to help with the file creation. I created the user account in the same maner with the same generic default permissions as I did with the previous two accounts. I then added the new user to the share's filesystem ACL just as I had done with the previous two accounts (Sharing\Windows Shares (SMB). I thought this would be all that needed to be done, since it worked perfectly with the other two accounts.

What I have discoverd, is, that the new user account is able to access the share and create files on that share without any issues at all. The new user account is also able to see and work on any NEW files that I create.

The issue, is that the new user account is not able to see any of the original folders I had created inside the share using one of the original accounts, which means they are not able to access any of the files within those folders. If I create a new folder with either of the original accounts or with the new account, is it visible by all. The issue seems to be with only files or folders created BEFORE this new third use was created.

Is this a known bug?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I recently setup a new TrueNAS Core system (version 13.0-U1.1) and setup two generic user accounts (no special permissions). I then setup a SMB share and it has been working perfectly. I create files on one computer using one account, and another computer is able to access those files using the other account.

Today, I setup a third machine and a third user to help with the file creation. I created the user account in the same maner with the same generic default permissions as I did with the previous two accounts. I then added the new user to the share's filesystem ACL just as I had done with the previous two accounts (Sharing\Windows Shares (SMB). I thought this would be all that needed to be done, since it worked perfectly with the other two accounts.

What I have discoverd, is, that the new user account is able to access the share and create files on that share without any issues at all. The new user account is also able to see and work on any NEW files that I create.

The issue, is that the new user account is not able to see any of the original folders I had created inside the share using one of the original accounts, which means they are not able to access any of the files within those folders. If I create a new folder with either of the original accounts or with the new account, is it visible by all. The issue seems to be with only files or folders created BEFORE this new third use was created.

Is this a known bug?

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Did you apply the permissions changes recursively? Do note that it's generally best practice to use groups to manage access rather than individual user entries (that way you can make users members of groups rather than trying to redo ACLs on a path).

Aubrey

Cadet
Did you apply the permissions changes recursively? Do note that it's generally best practice to use groups to manage access rather than individual user entries (that way you can make users members of groups rather than trying to redo ACLs on a path).
Understood completely about using groups. As this first unit I've setup is more of a test for me (I'm moving away from using QNAP's and Synology's, I just setup these users (there will not be more than 3 on this box)

I noticed that option (on the bottom left. With TrueNAS, is that option something I should use when adding new users to an existing SMB share with data already in that Share? Thanks for the response.
1660445035263.png

homer27081990

Patron
You should just add the new user to a group that already has access to all the directories and files. Not to change permissions.