SMB share becomes Unresponsive

DancingShinryu

Dabbler
I am having an issue with SMB share. For some reason the system just does not connect. I am forced to reboot my NAS in order to access my files and movie server. I watch my Movies from an Application on Apple TV called Infuse. I have ran SMB share perfectly fine with QNAP and UNRAID before I switched to TureNAS to keep a RAID type configuration. QNAP had disk number limitations and UNRAID worried me. Though I am having some other issues with TrueNAS that the others didn't have, such as plugin problems, which I am trying to solve.

I can reboot my system and watch a full night of movies without any issues at all. When it gets time to be watching movies again the next night, I cannot get the movies to load. I am told by Infuse that TrueNAS is not responding. I then need to login and do a reboot. There is nothing I understand that can be causing this. I am not very knowledgeable in this type of area, but I have checked all of the common settings that I know. There is nothing out of place with my network or settings, somehow it just becomes Unresponsive. I have also noticed the Mapped Network Path for my NAS keeps disappearing on Windows 10, but I know this can be a common issue. I have created a shortcut to help this and hoping the 2 are related. I will post screenshots of my system and all network and settings for SMB and ACL etc.

I am running TrueNAS-12.0-U7
16 GB RAM DDR4 3600 Mhz.
Ryzen 5 5600G 6 Core CPU
Gigabyte B550 Motherboard
ASUS XG-C100C 10GB NIC
Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120GB Boot Drive connected through SATA
Storage 1 x 12TB and 1 x 8TB Seagate Ironwolf Pro NAS Disks running Mirror (temporary configuration, upgrading to RAIDZ2)
I wont post Modem values as I know it isn't the culprit.

I have included my HDD' Power management settings and standby settings (Unsure if they are the culprit)
Edit: Last Screenshot will be added in a reply post due to limits on images.

Attachments

• 2022-01-30 (1).png
    2022-01-30 (1).png
    136.3 KB · Views: 183
  • 2022-01-30.png
    2022-01-30.png
    374.5 KB · Views: 119
  • 2022-01-30 (9).png
    2022-01-30 (9).png
    147.5 KB · Views: 135
  • 2022-01-30 (8).png
    2022-01-30 (8).png
    150.4 KB · Views: 134
  • 2022-01-30 (7).png
    2022-01-30 (7).png
    139.9 KB · Views: 117
  • 2022-01-30 (6).png
    2022-01-30 (6).png
    137.1 KB · Views: 115
  • 2022-01-30 (5).png
    2022-01-30 (5).png
    138 KB · Views: 140
  • 2022-01-30 (4).png
    2022-01-30 (4).png
    151 KB · Views: 122
  • 2022-01-30 (3).png
    2022-01-30 (3).png
    180.3 KB · Views: 117
  • 2022-01-30 (2).png
    2022-01-30 (2).png
    136.5 KB · Views: 132

DancingShinryu

Dabbler
Here is the last screenshot.

Attachments

• 2022-01-30 (11).png
    2022-01-30 (11).png
    148.1 KB · Views: 197

Alecmascot

Guru
ryzen bios settings for freenas ?

DancingShinryu

Dabbler
ryzen bios settings for freenas ?
BIOS settings have not changed in 6 months. Plus I do not change those settings. They are as they should be for maximum performance. UEFI if this is what you mean ?

Alecmascot

Guru
BIOS work-arounds : (disable Cool-n-Quiet, disable C6 state)?
Loads of stability issues with ryzens. Search the forum

DancingShinryu

Dabbler
BIOS work-arounds : (disable Cool-n-Quiet, disable C6 state)?
Loads of stability issues with ryzens. Search the forum
As I explained, I ran UNRAID without any problems at all for months. This issue only began since I began using TrueNAS. I also don’t understand how BIOS can be the cause as BIOS only runs configuration and saves that configuration. It does not temporarily disable settings. There is no sleep settings enabled and if this was a BIOS issue, it would have affected UNRAID as well.

Last edited:

DancingShinryu

Dabbler
Unraid is based on Linux IIRC and TrueNAS 12 is FreeBSD-based. Different operating systems.
Yes, I know. My point is that BIOS will operate the same no matter what OS your using. If BIOS worked fine with UNRAID then I cannot believe it suddenly has problems because TrueNAS is installed. I will check those settings shortly. I’m just surprised that no other advice has been suggested.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Yes, I know. My point is that BIOS will operate the same no matter what OS your using. If BIOS worked fine with UNRAID then I cannot believe it suddenly has problems because TrueNAS is installed. I will check those settings shortly. I’m just surprised that no other advice has been suggested.
Well, the typical starting place to debug would be looking at log files
/var/log/samba4/log.smbd
/var/log/messages

Does service get restored if you simply restart the SMB service rather than reboot? Are you accessing by IP address or netbios name?

DancingShinryu

Dabbler
Well, the typical starting place to debug would be looking at log files
/var/log/samba4/log.smbd
/var/log/messages

Does service get restored if you simply restart the SMB service rather than reboot? Are you accessing by IP address or netbios name?
Infuse is connecting via SMB share name. I will check those logs to see, I didn’t actually know where the logs were. I also didn’t realise I could just restart the SMB share again without a full reboot. Do I just toggle the switch ? If so, I can check that and see if it helps.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Infuse is connecting via SMB share name. I will check those logs to see, I didn’t actually know where the logs were. I also didn’t realise I could just restart the SMB share again without a full reboot. Do I just toggle the switch ? If so, I can check that and see if it helps.
Yes, just toggle. You can use normal unix shell tools to read log files locally or download a system debug System->Advanced->Save Debug.
Do note though that you cannot just assume to your bios / uefi settings will all be equally well supported across OSes with modern hardware. For instance there are times that users even in the Linux community have to install bleeding-edge kernels because of motherboard / CPU compatibility issues. The community members suggesting looking at these settings are doing so because they have been problematic in the past. This is just part of a normal troubleshooting process.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
>Infuse is connecting via SMB share name.

You never really connect through a share name. You connect through a <server name>/<share name> or <ip address>/<share name> in most clients. The former case relies on either hosts file, DNS, mDNS, or NetBIOS name resolution in order to find the server. Working in one case but not the other also gives clues about where the problem is.

DancingShinryu

Dabbler
>Infuse is connecting via SMB share name.

You never really connect through a share name. You connect through a <server name>/<share name> or <ip address>/<share name> in most clients. The former case relies on either hosts file, DNS, mDNS, or NetBIOS name resolution in order to find the server. Working in one case but not the other also gives clues about where the problem is.
Thank you for the explanation. Which would you suggest me to connect for best results? The IP address/share name ? From looking at your explanation, I can see how I am currently connected could cause some issues. It is just connected using truenas.local at the moment.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Thank you for the explanation. Which would you suggest me to connect for best results? The IP address/share name ? From looking at your explanation, I can see how I am currently connected could cause some issues. It is just connected using truenas.local at the moment.
If your IP address is static and this is at home I see no issue with just using that. It's probably the most reliable way of doing this.

DancingShinryu

Dabbler
If your IP address is static and this is at home I see no issue with just using that. It's probably the most reliable way of doing this.
I have changed some settings in the BIOS, I have included a photo of the current settings. If there is any others there you can suggest, please let me know. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_4603.jpeg
    IMG_4603.jpeg
    145.5 KB · Views: 174

DancingShinryu

Dabbler
I have the log files here that I was told to check, but I absolutely have no clue what I am looking at. It is so bewildering the information. Could I ask if you may be able to examine it please. I remember the SMB share was not responding after 4pm (16:00) and I did a full restart of the system. Then again after 7 pm (19:00) hours. I did see in the log there was something in BIOS that showed up, which had been disabled. I can confirm that nothing had been changed on my system by myself after 2 pm (14:00) and only I have access to the NAS. I added the full log because I couldn't upload the 2 files directly, thanks again.

Attachments

• debug-truenas-20220130140219.tgz
    726.9 KB · Views: 102

DancingShinryu

Dabbler
It appears the settings we have changed have helped greatly. I’ve had 2 days without any lag or non responding shares. Thank you for your help.