SMB does not work with hostname, only IP address

raphial

Cadet
Hey guys, this is my first time using TrueNAS or any FreeBSD based distro. I'm used to using Debian-based distros both in a home and server environment.

I decided to give TrueNAS a try, and so far everything went pretty smoothly. Except one big issue... I cannot for the life of me seem to fix SMB not allowing me to use the hostname of my server to login via Explorer (Such as \\truenas). I can only successfully use my IP address (Such as \\192.168.1.200 - which works fine, I have full control). My Windows 10 machine can see the \\truenas hostname in the Network list, but it refuses to let me login using the hostname.

I've searched up and down the forum, Google, etc and I cannot seem to find a solution for this. I've used Samba in many debian-based platforms with little to no issue, and everything worked before migrating to TrueNAS. I have several other server machines on my network that run fine with zero issues, or any issues with DNS.

Any advice would be helpful; from my frequent searches, this seems to be a common issue. I've spent the last two days debugging and troubleshooting and I cannot seem to figure this out.

Thanks

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
A couple of things to check:
  1. Did you set your TrueNAS server's NetBIOS name under Services->SMB? (Remember to restart the SMB service after any change to the service or share configuration.)
  2. Does the NetBIOS name match your server hostname under Network->Global Configuration?
  3. Did you enable WS-Discovery under Network->Global Configuration?
If these are all in place, does your server appear by the NetBIOS name in Network Neighborhood?

calvados

Cadet
A couple of things to check:
  1. Did you set your TrueNAS server's NetBIOS name under Services->SMB? (Remember to restart the SMB service after any change to the service or share configuration.)
  2. Does the NetBIOS name match your server hostname under Network->Global Configuration?
  3. Did you enable WS-Discovery under Network->Global Configuration?
If these are all in place, does your server appear by the NetBIOS name in Network Neighborhood?

Thank you! I double checked and reset as per your suggestions and now it works. Very much appreciated. :)