SMB does not work with hostname, only IP address

pixelwave

Contributor
Hi

I am running TrueNAS Scale (23.10.1) on a Proxmox (8.1.4) host.

Trying to access the truenas machine shares (SMB) via mac or windows pc's using the hostname does not work after a while. I see the machine in the network settings but I get an error trying to access. I can use the IP address of the truenas server - that works always.

I already tried the troubleshoot steps from here. Netbios, hostname are all set / same.

When I restart the SMB service of truenas it works again for a while ... but after some time it only works reliably via the IP. I also saw sometimes the machine name change in Mac finder from "truenas-pve" to "truenas-pve-1" ... "truenas-pve8".

Screenshot 2024-03-11 at 13.49.13.png

janerjak

Dabbler
Hi,

don't know if related, but I am having the same issue in Windows only just recently. On my Mac it still works fine.
For me, \\HOSTNAME stopped working three days ago without any configuration changes made by me. I suspect a recent Windows Update changed some policies?

Anybody else having this issue since a couple of days?

Edit: Now that you say it, I just checked macOS Finder again and this is the first time ever that I am also seeing my machine listed as "hostname-2". Maybe this is actually a recent issue.