Can't access through ip address on pc

yanyan

Cadet
So I'm having this weird problem that I can't access the nas through ip address on my pc. It started with a cable rearrangement for pc, and after I restarted the pc, the web ui seemed broken somehow on both chrome and edge. As I was messing with apps and permissions, I figured I might just restart the nas, but it looked the same afterwards. Naturally I cleared cache on the browsers, but then I can't even get into the webui anymore, just nothing, and then I found that smb share, set with hostname, was broken too. My iPhone and Macbook could access nas through ip, and I could even ping the ip address on pc, but still no access.

Later I found out I could access through truenas.local, and smb too, but since I uses vpn a lot, which messes with DNS, I would not prefer the domain access.

Restarted PC, no luck.

NAS was TrueNAS SCALE 22.12.1, network set to static ip, network gateway and dns both set to the router. PC connects fine to other devices, including a qnap, several routers, HAOS, etc..

Could anyone please enlighten me on what might the problem be and what I could do?

yanyan

Cadet
And when I hit enter on ip address, it adds the "/ui/" part at the end, so I figured it is connecting, just not showing...

yanyan

Cadet
Problem solved, I don't know why tho.

So I had a 10G ethernet adapter newly installed on my pc, and set truenas mtu to 9000, yet didn't succeed to do so on pc for unknown reason. I could ping the ip address, or access through truenas.local, but can't access through ip addr. Today I tried using the motherboard ethernet port which was ok, and changed the mtu back to 1500 and it was all normal again. I guess there's some weird issue with this cheap as hell inspur adapter (69cny or 10usd) with large mtu? Anyway, problem solved.

And I'm still curious why this would happen and would be very grateful if someone could enlighten me on that.

crownrai

Dabbler
So I had a 10G ethernet adapter newly installed on my pc, and set truenas mtu to 9000, yet didn't succeed to do so on pc for unknown reason.
Did you have your PC and TrueNAS server connected through a switch? If so, the switch will also need to have it's MTU settings increased to 9000. This is usually done by enabling the "Jumbo Packets" option in the switch.

yanyan

Cadet
Did you have your PC and TrueNAS server connected through a switch? If so, the switch will also need to have it's MTU settings increased to 9000. This is usually done by enabling the "Jumbo Packets" option in the switch.
That might be the problem, it went through several switches - a tplink st 1008, a tplink st 1005, xiaomi 10GE router -but no mtu setting on any of these.
Though I still wonder how access through ip and through domain differs.

Barmax

Cadet
Thank you for the advice! I have an ASUS RT-AC88U. I could not ping or connect using IPV4 after my first reboot after setting up a static IP but my drive mappings still worked.

Enabling Jumbo Frame did the trick. My TrueNAS server is an old Dell T20 using onbboard NIC

1707663552989.png