SMB Cluster

mtron

Cadet
Hey all, having some issues with a SMB cluster. Starting from a fresh install.

Truecommand 2.2.2
Scale 22.02.4
Active Directory

4 Nodes Intel S1200SP E3-1270 64GB RAM, dedicated nic for both networks.

VIPS for SMB

10.26.1.21/22
10.26.1.22/22
10.26.1.23/22
10.26.1.24/22

CTDB

172.26.1.21/24
172.26.1.22/24
172.26.1.23/24
172.26.1.24/24

All IP addresses are static. DNS and reverse lookups are set up static in AD DNS. Once the nodes are all set up i can set up the the cluster file system. Once the cluster is up, it seems like truecommand changes the netbios name of all the nodes, node1 becomes node2 etc. If I try and manually set the netbios name back I get a smb.syncronize_group_mappings error.

Then when I make the SMB share, Truecommand moves all the VIPS IP address's to the first node.

Thanks

buchwald

Cadet
I have seen some similar issues with those versions you listed of truecommand and scale. However I never got as far as getting any SMB configs going. What I saw during the NIC setup was the correct interfaces were never available. Even after selecting the corresponding private IP. address. Than after trying to continue with the setup the selection would be empty and I would then get an Error:2 and can do nothing. I would also see the netbios names change to different ones that were not selected. I never saw the smb.syncronize_group_mappings error thought. Most likely because I never got that far.

Sorry, I could not give you any solutions to the issues you are seeing though.

mtron

Cadet
I got it working with the latest version of Scale and Truecommand. I did this all from fresh installs on the nodes and truecommand.

1. Set up the nodes with 1 Static IP for CTDB, 1 Static IP for web admin / truecommand in the same range as SMB VIPS, then leave the third interface up, but without a config.
2. Configure the DNS host names and PTR's for the individual nodes in Active Directory.
3. Add the nodes to truecommand
4. Create the cluster.
5. Truecommand asks you to assign SMB VIP's to an interface, in my case I had 4 nodes, so all 4 IP's are assigned to all 4 nodes.
6. When you get to the domain join, create a netbios name that is different form the cluster names
6. After the cluster is up, you should be able to create a volume and a share.
7. Create DNS pointers for each SMB VIP address to the netbios name in step 6.