Smartmontools old database

TimoJ

Dabbler
Smartmontools seem to have a very old (2017) database that doesn't include all the drive types I'm using. Earlier in 11.2-U2.1 I updated it manually by downloading drivedb.h from smartmontools sourceforge page and copying it to FreeNAS' smartmontools directory replacing the old one. Using update-smart-drivedb didn't update the database, it just downloaded the same old one (or didn't download at all, not sure).

Looks like when I updated to 11.2-U3 that old database has again returned. And now update-smart-drivedb gives drivedb.h.error.raw: *** BAD signature *** error.

So what's going on? Is it just my system?

D

dlavigne

That error makes sense as you bypassed the version built into FreeNAS.

Please create a feature request at redmine.ixsystems.com to have the smartmontools updated.

svtkobra7

Patron
Feature request is great o/c, but in the interim
Code:
/usr/local/sbin/update-smart-drivedb --no-verify

While that does update the database, my drives are not there:

Code:
root@cobalt:~ # /usr/local/sbin/update-smart-drivedb --no-verify
/usr/local/share/smartmontools/drivedb.h updated from branches/RELEASE_6_6_DRIVEDB (NOT VERIFIED)

root@cobalt:~ # smartctl -i /dev/ada0
smartctl 6.6 2017-11-05 r4594 [FreeBSD 11.2-STABLE amd64] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-17, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Device Model:     HITACHI HUS724040ALE640
~
User Capacity:    4,000,787,030,016 bytes [4.00 TB]
Sector Sizes:     512 bytes logical, 4096 bytes physical
Rotation Rate:    7200 rpm
Form Factor:      3.5 inches
Device is:        Not in smartctl database [for details use: -P showall]
~
Local Time is:    Tue Apr 23 11:20:13 2019 MDT
SMART support is: Available - device has SMART capability.
SMART support is: Enabled

svtkobra7

Patron

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Not to worry, soon hard disks will be a thing of the past, no more updates needed. ;-)

Curious ... I see the "Hitachi/HGST Ultrastar 7K4000" in the smartmontools drive database file (search for "HUS724040ALE640")
Yeah, I thought it was odd that it wasn't showing up. It's not like it is new or exotic...

I did have some trouble getting an HBA to recognize it. Maybe that's the problem. It's a refurbished drive. Otherwise SMART works fine and BADBLOCKS ran for about 210 hours without issue or error. I can't find anything wrong with the drive.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Blasphemy !:)

I've used a lot of WD Red 1TB 2.5" in hypervisors over the years. These last few years, they've been in the $70-$90 range pretty consistently. This seems to be the largest RAID-safe 2.5" 'cheap' drive. But this is a 2012-era drive.

The WD Blue 1TB SSD was recently spotted on sale for $99.99. The price on that's been dropping like a rock. So. Hm.

I've used a lot of WD Red 1TB 2.5" in hypervisors over the years. These last few years, they've been in the $70-$90 range pretty consistently. This seems to be the largest RAID-safe 2.5" 'cheap' drive. But this is a 2012-era drive.

The WD Blue 1TB SSD was recently spotted on sale for $99.99. The price on that's been dropping like a rock. So. Hm.

Perhaps I have this huge attachment towards enterprise stuff, but I think used HGST 1.2TB 2.5" HDD HUC101212CSS600 Ultrastar 0B25168 10K RPM SAS 6GB/s from ebay for around $70 would be my choice instead of consumer stuff. In comparison with WD Red 1TB 2.5 . You should know this better than me :smile:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Yeah, no, I really don't need the drama of someone else's well-worn 40K+ hour runtime drives. It's expensive to deal with replacing drives at distant data centers and I much prefer the drama-free solution.

Since we also sell these to customers, it allows us to maintain a single SKU that can be sold either internally or to customers.

Yeah, no, I really don't need the drama of someone else's well-worn 40K+ hour runtime drives. It's expensive to deal with replacing drives at distant data centers and I much prefer the drama-free solution.

Since we also sell these to customers, it allows us to maintain a single SKU that can be sold either internally or to customers.

Honestly, I am not crazy about used ones (unless it's Intel DC S3700 800GB), but I wanted to match your price. I do have the drive I mention but is brand new, still from ebay for little over $200.

svtkobra7

Patron
I was surprised when I ran /usr/local/sbin/update-smart-drivedb --no-verify and received zsh: no such file or directory: /usr/local/sbin/update-smart-drivedb.

Sure enough there is no update-smart-drivedb in that dir (but smartctl there is) ... any clue on how to update on TrueNAS-12.0-RELEASE?

Fredda

Guru
Code:
[root@NAS] ~# update-smart-drivedb --dryrun
fetch -q --no-redirect -o /usr/local/share/smartmontools/drivedb.h.new https://svn.code.sf.net/p/smartmontools/code/branches/RELEASE_7_0_DRIVEDB/smartmontools/drivedb.h
fetch -q --no-redirect -o /usr/local/share/smartmontools/drivedb.h.new.raw.asc https://svn.code.sf.net/p/smartmontools/code/branches/RELEASE_7_0_DRIVEDB/smartmontools/drivedb.h.raw.asc

You'll need to adapt that to the correct smartmontools version. Only do it if you know what you're doing. Only do it if you really need it because of a drive type not included in the currently installed version.

glauco

Guru
Curious ... I see the "Hitachi/HGST Ultrastar 7K4000" in the smartmontools drive database file (search for "HUS724040ALE640")
Thank you. This helped me today. Samsung SSDs 870 QVO weren't in /usr/local/share/smartmontools/drivedb.h (which dates back to Dec 28 2019) so I replaced it with the raw file from the link you provided and now smartctl recognizes it!
It's just a text file, so it was a piece of cake.
And incidentally, command update-smart-drivedb is nowhere to be found on TrueNAS-12.0-U1.1.