Advice/help needed: FreeNas 9.10 upgrade worries

Status
Not open for further replies.

ptcadoc

Dabbler
Dear Gurus

Looking for some help/advice. Have tried to look stuff as much as I can - unfortunately, I'm in the medical field so tech is not a strength

I have a FreeNas server that I set up 2 years ago after muddling through this and other sites and it's worked well. My main use is Plex and a bit of backup using local fileshares. The movies (several TB actually) are all backed up to an external drive. However, the Plex database has NO backup because I just can't seem to do it (more on that later)

System:
  • FreeNAS-9.10.2-U6 (561f0d7a1)
  • Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-6400 CPU @ 2.70GHz
  • RAM: 7833MB
  • 1 SSD - this has the Plex database BUT I can't see this drive on my network (so can't back it up)
  • 3 4TB WD red drives set up as a volume which gives me 7 TB space, about 2TB free
  • Plugin: Plexmediaserver 1.12.2.4929

I've not had too many problems over the last 2 years EXCEPT that whenever I've rebooted FreeNas using the web interface, it reboots and switches off and I have to manually press the on/off button.

My worries about upgrading are:
  1. Should I even do it? Reason why I'm thinking is because Plex is no longer updating I'm assuming because further updates require a higher version of FreeNas. But then is upgrading Plex really necessary I don't know would love to hear thoughts ("aint broken don't fix" argument seems to make sense ........)
  2. Is an upgrade to version 11 even possible (via the interface)? Or is it likely to fail
  3. I'm SHIT scared of losing the Plex database. I know one can download most of it but several posters were changed over the years and all HOME movies have specific posters. Problem is this is NOT backed up because I can't access that SSD it does not appear on my network
  4. I'm not so scared about losing the movie files I have all of them backed up on an external drive although would prefer I don't lose them obviously

Questions to you smart folks
  1. Should I upgrade? If so, how? Upgrade directly to version 11.2 stable by clicking on it in the "update" section?
  2. How do I backup the Plex database that's on the SSD (which I can't access or see on my network)? I suspect it's related to some settings because at ONE POINT I do recall seeing the drive then did "something" that made it disappear from the network (didn't want kids or someone else to accidentally delete stuff from it). Yes, I know, amateur/NooBee, please bear with me
  3. Can someone walk me through the upgrade process (via a "real idiot" guide)?

Many MANY thanks in advance

danb35

Hall of Famer
Should I even do it?
I'd say "no" for right now. Reason being that the last official release is 11.1-U6, which is built on FreeBSD 11.1. But since the FreeNAS release cycle lags behind the FreeBSD release cycle, FreeBSD 11.1 is EOL, which means you're going to have problems with jails. FreeNAS 11.2 is built on FreeBSD 11.2, but is in a pre-release status. So I'd suggest waiting until 11.2 is released and stable (which might mean waiting for 11.2-U1), and then upgrading.
Is an upgrade to version 11 even possible (via the interface)?
Sure--simply change the update train to the desired one (11.1-STABLE, for example), click Check Now, and then Apply Updates.
How do I backup the Plex database that's on the SSD (which I can't access or see on my network)?
Why is the Plex database on the SSD? If the SSD is just where you put the jail(s), and therefore the database is there, that makes some sense (though there really isn't any reason to put jails on a SSD). But just the database doesn't really make sense to me. In any event, it should be relatively straightforward at the command line, but we'd probably need more detail about how you have things set up to give more insight.

ptcadoc

Dabbler
Thank you so much for replying. I wish I could give you intelligent answers

Why is the Plex database on the SSD?

***** I recall being told that it would be much faster to load hence I bought a separate 120GB SSD and placed the Plex database on it

In any event, it should be relatively straightforward at the command line, but we'd probably need more detail about how you have things set up to give more insight.

***** What details can I provide? I've attached a picture of the volumes but this may not be what you need, kindly please let me know what other info I can send

Many thanks for your help

upload_2018-11-5_23-18-52.png

Status
Not open for further replies.