9.10 ISO upgrade with mirrored boot device

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pheran

Patron
Extensive description of my system here. I'm currently running 9.3.1-20160415.

I'd like to upgrade to 9.10 but I don't want to use 9.10.1 because of the grub bugs, so I'm trying to do an ISO upgrade to 9.10-20160627. My boot pool is on mirrored USB sticks, da8 and da9. I mount the 9.10 ISO with IPMI and boot it up. If I select both da8 and da9 for the install, I get the message:

can't import 'freenas-boot': more than one matching pool
import by numeric ID instead

I guess this means I shouldn't select both devices when trying to upgrade. If I select only one, the next screen is a message warning that it's going to erase everything on the drive, which doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling that I'm entering an upgrade process instead of a fresh install. Two questions:

1) Is the warning message about erasing everything normal; should I proceed and hope it upgrades?

2) If I'm only selecting one device, will I have to do something after the upgrade to repair the freenas-boot mirror?

Thanks!

D

dlavigne

It may be easier to save your config, do an ISO install to the mirror, then restore your config.

Pheran

Patron
It may be easier to save your config, do an ISO install to the mirror, then restore your config.

If 9.10 is capable of importing a 9.3.1 config, then that sounds worth a shot.

I'm torn as to whether I should just wait for the "9.10.1-U1" release that claims to be coming in a few days though. Maybe it will make 9.10.1 usable for upgrade.

danb35

Hall of Famer
If 9.10 is capable of importing a 9.3.1 config, then that sounds worth a shot.
It is, did that when I upgraded to my "new" server about 4 months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.