smartd not starting

diemkae

Cadet
Did you do this, it may not work but it's what I'd try?
GUI -> Storage -> View Disks -> Highlight "da1" and click EDIT. Now uncheck the box marked "Enable SMART". If this fails to work then I'd submit a bug report.

Instead of unchecking the "Enable SMART" box, I added "-d removable" to the SMART extra options" dialog (as implied the error message). After saving, smartd also seems to run normally, and may even check the mirrored (usb) boot devices.

diemkae

Cadet
Instead of unchecking the "Enable SMART" button, I added "-d removable" to the "SMART extra options" dialog right below (as implied by the error message). This also caused smartd to start normally and may even cause it to check the mirrored (USB) boot devices.

Greg_E

Explorer
Did you do this, it may not work but it's what I'd try?
GUI -> Storage -> View Disks -> Highlight "da1" and click EDIT. Now uncheck the box marked "Enable SMART". If this fails to work then I'd submit a bug report.
Thanks, fixed my issue as well. I don't remember having this problem with 11.1-U2, pretty sure it started when I upgraded to 11.1-U5

Rob Townley

Dabbler
HowToDisableSMARTonUSBsticks-FreeNas11-20180912.png

Problem in August versions of 11.1 stable is that smartd crashes because it does not gracefully handle smart scans of USB sticks and other removable USB drives. The error message "
Code:
smartd Unable to register device /dev/daXX (no Directive -d removable).  Exiting.
" Removing these drives from the SMART tasks is not enough.

Many others have posted this answer already, but pictures help. Not sure where this could be fixed at the command line.

Last edited:

yottabit

Contributor
I just upgraded from 9.10 to 11.2 beta 2, and am also having a smartd error:

Oct 17 16:15:40 nas1 smartd[93413]: Unable to register ATA device /dev/ada0 at line 3 of file /usr/local/etc/smartd.conf
Oct 17 16:15:40 nas1 smartd[93413]: Unable to register device /dev/ada0 (no Directive -d removable). Exiting.

/dev/ada0 is my SSD L2ARC. I have edited the disk to disable SMART, but it doesn't make a difference. smartd still refuses to start, and still calls out that disk.

Known issue? I haven't rebooted after editing the disk's SMART flag, but it seems like that would be a bizarre requirement.

Edit: I also tried adding the "-d removable" option under disk edit, but that had no effect, too. The UI links to the smartctl manpage, but I noticed the removable flag is not mentioned.

Edit 2: as mentioned in an earlier post, I tried adding that SMART option with SMART both enabled *and* disabled for that disk. No difference.

Last edited:

nanosmurf

Cadet
Hi all,

I am also having the issue that the SMARTd won't start. The problem began when upgrading from 11.1-U4 to 11.1-U6. I was hoping the problem might solve itself with upgrading to the 11.2-RELEASE, but it's still here.

My disks:

1544374795228.png

Enable and disable SMART on "da0" which is a USB stick, makes no difference, as reported before. I did NOT try restarting after every possible permutation of "Enable SMART" and "SMART extra options".

I can also confirm that the smartctl manpage still does not mention the removable flag.

Any ideas to solve the issue are much appreciated.

darksoft

Cadet
I've got the issue of the serial number being 120 characters, too long for the 30 freenas won't go beyond, therefore I can never save the config. I can't disable it or add the -d removable flag because it won't get past the serial number being so long. Using the latest freenas, why are we limiting character length... it's a mfr thing.

Note, I had to go into the legacy UI to find this out, since the new GUI only says fatal error...