SMART & Scrub tasks not running

Macgd016

Dabbler
I have my basic FN setup and running and as advised by Fester I have scheduled two SMART tests and a Scrub task. I can see that they are scheduled but they do not run.

I also have some Cron jobs scheduled and these run ok so I have the date and time set ok. I can see the scheduled date and time for the SMART & Scrub but nothing seems to happen when the time arrives and I get no email notification (if I am supposed to get one?)

I'm at a bit of a loss now, any suggestions?

Macgd016

Dabbler
Should I be running these as Cron jobs instead?

Fredda

Guru
You should get an EMail for the scrub task. For the SMART task you won't get an EMail.

How have you checked your tasks are not running? You should see the last scrub run in the zpool status output.
Make sure you have the drives selected in SMART tasks, it is possible to create a SMART task without any disc selected.
(In this case nothing will run, happened to me once ...)

Macgd016

Dabbler
OK so I have the Scrub running ok, I hadn't noticed the Threshold setting

And I think SMART tests are actually running but I can't see any disk activity so thought they weren't, silly me. Is there a test you can run to see if the SMART test is running, the only thing I have found is to run it again in Shell and it tells you you can't!!

Fredda

Guru
Type smartctl -a /dev/daX in the shell (replace the X accordingly). This will show you the current SMART status of the drive and information about the previous smart self test runs.

Macgd016

Dabbler
Ah Ha, thanks for that.

Should the long test take quite this long, its just a 160Gb disc and its at 60% remaining after 50 minutes!

Fredda

Guru
That seems very long. But it depends on the other activity on the disc. You're not running a scrub in parallel?

Macgd016

Dabbler
No not the scrub but I do have SMART tests running on three discs, 160Gb, and 2 x 2Tb. Should I see much disc activity?

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
No not the scrub but I do have SMART tests running on three discs, 160Gb, and 2 x 2Tb. Should I see much disc activity?
You want see disk activity outside of the normal use. And you can run smart tests on all disks at the same time they are independent.

Macgd016

Dabbler
All sorted, thanks for everyone's help.

Essentially I think this was a case of not really knowing what to expect and not knowing how to see whether the tests were running as there is no physical way to see this and some of them taking very much longer than I expected.

JaimieV

Guru
You can see if tests are running in the Shell - 'smartctl -a /dev/ada0' or whatever devicename, you'll see:
Code:
=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART overall-health self-assessment test result: PASSED

General SMART Values:
Offline data collection status:  (0x82)    Offline data collection activity
                    was completed without error.
                    Auto Offline Data Collection: Enabled.
Self-test execution status:      ( 249)    Self-test routine in progress...
                    90% of test remaining.