Which timezone for cron jobs ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcet

Contributor
Hi all,

This morning, I was wondering why my scheduled long smart test haven't occurred.
It was scheduled to run at 02:00 (AM), but I was working on the server till 01:00 and may be a little longer.

The only explanation I see for that is different timezones. If cron job are based on UTC, then there is a chance for the server to have been shutdown at that time. Am I right ?

D

dlavigne

If you type date on the system, does it show the time you expect? That is the time being used.

Marcet

Contributor
If you type date on the system, does it show the time you expect? That is the time being used.
Thanks for your answer.

So I'm confused, because I have the same time but my schedule long SMART test didn't run.

fracai

Guru
What is the schedule that you have set? Is it restricted by just time? Time and day of week? Day of month? Every X days?

The way the different schedule parameters interact can be confusing.

Marcet

Contributor
What is the schedule that you have set? Is it restricted by just time? Time and day of week? Day of month? Every X days?

The way the different schedule parameters interact can be confusing.
132133Capturedecran20160222a212522.png

I have set the same way on my backup server, and the test ran as scheduled.

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
Did you also check your settings in Services->S.M.A.R.T. in addition to the settings in Tasks->S.M.A.R.T. Tests?
http://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_services.html#s-m-a-r-t

Side note: Smart-tests are controlled by smartd (UNIX daemon) and /usr/local/etc/smartd.conf (config file), not via cron.

Marcet

Contributor
Did you also check your settings in Services->S.M.A.R.T. in addition to the settings in Tasks->S.M.A.R.T. Tests?
http://doc.freenas.org/9.3/freenas_services.html#s-m-a-r-t

Side note: Smart-tests are controlled by smartd (UNIX daemon) and /usr/local/etc/smartd.conf (config file), not via cron.
Interresting. So I assume when smartd woke up after I powered back on the server, it was to late 30 min later to start the job.
Will see next time if it runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.