SMART not sending email

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soloam

Contributor
Hello, my FreeNas is not sending back email's with critical temperature notifications! I set my email on the email tab, I receive email's with alerts and daily reports, but SMART does not report the HDD temperatures.

I have it set to:
Check interval: 30
Power mode: Never
Difference: 0
Informational: 0
Critical: 37

Yesterday I connected to my FreeNas system by IPMI, and I noticed several messages like this one:
Code:
Device /dev/ada0, Temperature 41 Celsius reached critical limit of 37 Celsius (M in Max 41/41)

No error was generated on FreeNas and no email was sent!

Can any one help me?
Thank you in advance
Best Regards

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Same on my server. I never received a single email regarding the temp alerts and all the tests I've done. It's a known bug but we still don't know why there's this bug.

kerberos11

Cadet
Same here. I just tried changing all of the times and lowered the interval so I should be getting emails every ten minutes if the temperature is above 2 degrees C. I guess I'll have to use that aut0-email script floating around here instead, it's summer now I need to watch out.

Soloam

Contributor
Where is this auto email script?

kerberos11

Cadet
I'll try to get it when I'm done work today. It's on the FreeNas forums here though from a few years ago. But today there was an update released and one item in the change log pertains to the smart_alert.py and unrecognized errors so I'll have to test again later.

kerberos11

Cadet
Well I'll be damned. After multiple reboot of it still not working after the update. I re-entered my email credentials and I was back in business. Hopefully the same goes for all!

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
Same on my server. I never received a single email regarding the temp alerts and all the tests I've done. It's a known bug but we still don't know why there's this bug.
Well I'll be damned. After multiple reboot of it still not working after the update. I re-entered my email credentials and I was back in business. Hopefully the same goes for all!
Well, maybe the bug is known now? ;)

Bidule0hm

Not really, I tested with two differents email addresses on two different providers.

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about

Bidule0hm

Nope, I tested a while back and I'm still on 9.3.0 because after I saw how many bugs there was on 9.3.1 back then I didn't update and now I'm just too lazy to update (as I need to reflash the controller) as everything works ok (excepted that but I've my own scripts to email me about SMART infos and others things) :)

philhu

Patron
look at your logs, my email is not working because bsmtp program is getting some kind of error when it tries to send the mail

I have not had time to look at the reason yet

Sometimes I will see the errors on my console

Mickey B

Dabbler
Gee i hate to open an old thread but i am new to FreeNas and i am also having this issue. Ive been trying to get past the Alert email problem for a few months and googling it is getting me nowhere. I am chatting with another FreeNas user about the same issue and i have begun a wider appeal for help.

I am running 9.10 stable and have been able to get test emails no probs. I have artificially lowered the temp error to 1deg celsius to generate an alert. The log shows the alert and temp at 27deg saying it is above critical temp, but i dont get the email. The Alert function in the GUI is also not triggering. I do get daily and weekly emails, but no alerts.

I think this is a vital function of FreeNas and i really need someone's help. Has anyone had this issue and been able to overcome it?

Thanks in advance

Bidule0hm

Yep, important bug but the devs doesn't care that much, and will care even less especially now that FreeNAS 10 is more or less ready.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yep, important bug but the devs doesn't care that much, and will care even less especially now that FreeNAS 10 is more or less ready.
I dunno, there's so much activity around 9.10 that I get the distinct feeling they're going to port the 9.x interface to the 10.x middleware.

Bidule0hm

Not sure it's reasonably possible given the fact everything has been remade, I guess there's too many differences.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Not sure it's reasonably possible given the fact everything has been remade, I guess there's too many differences.
Actually, I think one of the first steps after the original 10.x GUI was abandoned was to get the 9.x GUI wired up to the new middleware. I doubt they'd try feature-parity, but they're going to such lengths as integrating the crash report collecting tool they're using in 10.x in the 9.x GUI.

I've been meaning to ask about this, so I'll try to do so.

Stux

MVP
Gee i hate to open an old thread but i am new to FreeNas and i am also having this issue. Ive been trying to get past the Alert email problem for a few months and googling it is getting me nowhere. I am chatting with another FreeNas user about the same issue and i have begun a wider appeal for help.

I am running 9.10 stable and have been able to get test emails no probs. I have artificially lowered the temp error to 1deg celsius to generate an alert. The log shows the alert and temp at 27deg saying it is above critical temp, but i dont get the email. The Alert function in the GUI is also not triggering. I do get daily and weekly emails, but no alerts.

I think this is a vital function of FreeNas and i really need someone's help. Has anyone had this issue and been able to overcome it?

Thanks in advance

Just use @Bidule0hm 's scripts:
https://forums.freenas.org/index.ph...d-identification-and-backup-the-config.27365/

Bidule0hm

Actually, I think one of the first steps after the original 10.x GUI was abandoned was to get the 9.x GUI wired up to the new middleware. I doubt they'd try feature-parity, but they're going to such lengths as integrating the crash report collecting tool they're using in 10.x in the 9.x GUI.

I've been meaning to ask about this, so I'll try to do so.

Ah ok, didn't know that. So actually it's possible they fix the bug. But it's been here for so long that I lost hope :D

Status
Not open for further replies.