Slower speed (than Xpenology)?

Steiner-SE

Dabbler
Just checking and looking for thoughts.
I just build my TrueNAS machine and I'm in the progress of copying everything over between the two NAS system (the old one being a Xpenology NAS)
When done with the media folder (about 16TB) I marked all the subfolders in the media directory in both the old and new NAS and selected properties to check that everything had been copied (match file count and sizes).
The properties scan took several minutes longer on the TrueNAS machine than on the old Xpenology one.

There are some differences, but not sure what affects the most

Xpenology 1 disk redundancy 6*4TB using BTRFS
TrueNAS 1 disk redundancy 3*12TB using ZFS (duh)

Data is 27865 files in 3303 folders, 14.3TB

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
I assume you've configured FreeNAS as a RAIDZ1 pool? In general, mirror pools will usually be faster than RAID pools.

Steiner-SE

Dabbler
I assume you've configured FreeNAS as a RAIDZ1 pool? In general, mirror pools will usually be faster than RAID pools.

Yes, figured I didn't need top performance for mainly storing media nad backups.
What I wondered about was the difference in speed when scanning the files as the two NASes are very similar in setup. (the Xpenology pool is a Raid 5, so similar to RaidZ1)

For the pool where I'll host my datastore I will reuse the 4TB drives and do a pool of 3 mirrors