Slow upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

palm101

Cadet
Hi all

I have been following this forum for a couple of months. I am looking to build a storage server for VM storage. Just 2 VMs intially. Up to 10 VM later on.

Below are the specs that I have pieced together.
Chassis - 216E16-R1200LPB
MB - X10SRi-F
HBA - AOC-S2308L-L8e
CPU - E5-1620 v3
Memory - 2 X 16GB
SSD - 2 X 32GB SuperDOM for Boot
SSD - 2 X Intel SSD DC S3710 200GB for SLOG
HDD - 4 X WDC RED 1TB for zpool mirrored

Anyone have experience with this chassis? Back-plane is BPN-SAS2-216EL1. Does the back-plane works properly with SMART? Understand SAS3 is not working stablely with FreeNAS.

Since this server has 8 DIMM slots. I can add more later as need arises. Also for HDD, start with 4 initially then slowly adding drives as requirement increases. Is it feasible to create a 22 drive mirrored zpool?

Thank you for looking through this build. Let me know your comments.

I have a older 2U server, that has 6 SFF-8087 ports as the backplane doesnt have an expander, that being said i have 3 M1015's all on P16 IT firmware (but running ubuntu) and have no had a single issue getting SMART data. This is the exact listing for what i have, i know yours is newer and hopefully has an expander backplane, if not youll just need a few M1015's/9211-8i's in IT mode. Also pools over 12 drives is NOT recommended, i would do a 3 stripped pools of 7 hdds, but another member can certainly weigh in on this.

End of the day, i dont see an issue with the backplane what so ever.

gpsguy

I read it as 11 sets of mirrored vdevs, striped together. Going with striped mirrors gives you the best performance. If the OP wants more redundancy, consider 3 way mirrors.

Also pools over 12 drives is NOT recommended, i would do a 3 stripped pools of 7 hdds, but another member can certainly weigh in on this.

Status
Not open for further replies.