New Build Feedback ... Supermicro back plane options?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigzaj

Explorer
Finally going to switch from WHS + Areca Raid over to FreeNAS. Still trying to learn configuration, etc. but going forward with Hardware build to give myself time to test / experiment before retiring WHS.

Mobo: Supermicro X11SSH-F-O
CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1245v5 SkyLake
Ram: Samsung DDR4 2133 ECC 16gb x 4 (64gb total)
HBA: Silverstone LSI 9211-8i flashed to IT mode (P20)
Case: Supermicro 846E16-R1200 with BPN-SAS2-846EL1 back plane
Boot: 2x 32gb USB mirrored (current plan, considering SataDOM?)
Jails: 2x 250gb Samsung 850 mirrored
HDD: 8xWD Red 6TB in Raidz2 (x3 so 24 total)

Questions:
1. USB vs SataDOM for boot drives?
2. I don't think this back plane allows dual linking; given the HDD's is there any benefit to dual linking?
3. I plan on this lasting for many years... anything I am missing or should do differently?

Mirfster

Doesn't know what he's talking about
  1. IMHO go with an old SSD (32GB or 64GB). I have seen way too many posts about USB Sticks getting the crap beat out of them from FreeNAS 9.10.x. I guess SataDOM is okay, but if you have the ports I would do Dual SSDs Mirrored. Either way, always keep regular backups of the Config...
  2. I assume when you say "Dual Linking" are you meaning "Dual Port"? If so, it looks to me like it mainly is for attaching additional backplanes. Is the case a 2U, 3U or 4U? I was looking at Page 15.
  3. Defer this to the SuperMicro Gurus, I don't use them so am not the best source. Do consider the possible noise level of this (may scream like a jet).

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
2. I don't think this back plane allows dual linking; given the HDD's is there any benefit to dual linking?
The E26 has dual port, but that only applies to SAS drives, not SATA.

bigzaj

Explorer
3. Defer this to the SuperMicro Gurus, I don't use them so am not the best source. Do consider the possible noise level of this (may scream like a jet).

I am putting it in a closet with my AV equipment, it's got a mini split AC in there now but previously had a tripplite 12000 BTU AC that was very loud and I could not hear it outside the room. I'm hoping for more of the same.

Hope is the benefit of redundant PSU and positive pressure in the case will make it more reliable and extend drive life over my Norco 4224

Status
Not open for further replies.