BUILD First time server class builder looking for advice on proposed build

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derek Renfro

Dabbler
OK so i updated to a new MOBO/Processor Combo. As far as i can tell they are the same socket, but it says that the mobo is for the 2600 series of processors so i am not sure. Can anyone look at this for me? man i have to say server hardware is way harder to deal with then desktop software. Thank all of you for your help this stuff is crazy.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
The CPU you want is from the 2600 series these means it's a dual socket CPU. The 1620 you have now if a single socket.

Also your memory is lrdimm and you probably want just rdimm.

Derek Renfro

Dabbler
The CPU you want is from the 2600 series these means it's a dual socket CPU. The 1620 you have now if a single socket.

Also your memory is lrdimm and you probably want just rdimm.

Thank you again oh great SweetAndLow I will continue on my great quest to find compatible hardware.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Is this a viable CPU?

Intel Xeon E5-2620 v3 Haswell 2.4 GHz
Yes and you plan on getting 2 correct? You can always just start out with one and build it up.

religiouslyconfused

Contributor
You need X10 mobo for E5-26xx v3 CPU. Also recommend getting memory that is on that mobo's QVL chip
OK so i updated to a new MOBO/Processor Combo. As far as i can tell they are the same socket, but it says that the mobo is for the 2600 series of processors so i am not sure. Can anyone look at this for me? man i have to say server hardware is way harder to deal with then desktop software. Thank all of you for your help this stuff is crazy.
When Haswell-E/P was released, Intel created a new LGA2011 socket, but they keyed it differently and electrical connections are different, so you can't use a v3 Haswell-EP CPU in a Sandy/Ivy Bridge EP board.

Derek Renfro

Dabbler
You need X10 mobo for E5-26xx v3 CPU. Also recommend getting memory that is on that mobo's QVL chip

When Haswell-E/P was released, Intel created a new LGA2011 socket, but they keyed it differently and electrical connections are different, so you can't use a v3 Haswell-EP CPU in a Sandy/Ivy Bridge EP board.

Which I'm not doing now right?

religiouslyconfused

Contributor
Yes, I think I got a little too carried away. You are fine, and I think you have a very nice setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.