Need help looking for the right motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

uokrol

Dabbler
I have an intel e5-1620 processor that I got from a friend to build my freenas server. I have the hardest time finding the right motherboard for my build. Looking for a lga 2011 supermicro (or any board that supports ecc ram) board that will fit in a node 804. It has to be ddr3 compatible also. Help? Not looking to spend over $250 on this board.

Inxsible

Guru
That's a whole lot of constraints on searching for something. But can't you just change some of the constraints to open the net a bit wider?

I can understand that you got the processor for free -- but why does it have to be DDR3? If only to save cost on DDR4 -- well you already saved on the CPU

If you also already have the RAM, then try changing the case and allow for bigger size -- ATX or even E-ATX

uokrol

Dabbler
That's a whole lot of constraints on searching for something. But can't you just change some of the constraints to open the net a bit wider?

I can understand that you got the processor for free -- but why does it have to be DDR3? If only to save cost on DDR4 -- well you already saved on the CPU

If you also already have the RAM, then try changing the case and allow for bigger size -- ATX or even E-ATX

I have the RAM already, just need the motherboard. I will settle for an ATX board, but just wanted to see if anyone had an insight of a board that would work in my situation. ATX board was last resort if I couldn't find what I needed.

Inxsible

Guru
https://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/Xeon3000/#2011

Scroll a bit down for Socket R - LGA2011. The first list shows Socket R3-LGA2011 which is not what you want. Skip the 3 which are "Proprietary" form factor. Rest all are ATX (X9 series)

You will still have to look for a match because E5-1600 series CPU does not support LRDIMMs and you haven't mentioned what type of RAM you have. Going for a board with IPMI might be beneficial and all except the first 2 in the list do have IPMI support.

Other features of interest might be onboard 10G NIC--but those boards might not fit your $250 budget.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.