Slow SMB share from Windows 11 ~500kb/s

twhornback

Dabbler
Configured new to me TrueNAS CORE. Hardware details in signature.

SMB from another device (iPhone) to server, speeds are very fast. Over Windows 11 it caps around 500 kb/s. Tested using large files ~3gb.

Any ideas what the issue could be?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
kb/s or kB/s? Big difference. That said, it's monstrously bad either way and you need to narrow this down. I'd suggest first testing the network connection with iperf and we can go from there.

twhornback

Dabbler
kb/s or kB/s? Big difference. That said, it's monstrously bad either way and you need to narrow this down. I'd suggest first testing the network connection with iperf and we can go from there.
Sorry, kB/s. I'm not too familiar with running iperf, so I hope this is helpful. iperf -s returned:

TCP window size: 64 KByte (default)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yeah, that's not a successful run, you need to run the server on one end and a client on the other end so that it can actually test anything.

twhornback

Dabbler
Yeah, that's not a successful run, you need to run the server on one end and a client on the other end so that it can actually test anything.
Apologies, here are results from a successful run:

Attachments

• Screenshot (2).png
    Screenshot (2).png
    19.9 KB · Views: 122

twhornback

Dabbler
I just installed TrueNAS-13.0-U4, my In/Out speeds on em1 hover around 0.25 kB/s. Same with em0. I also tried switching ethernet ports on my router.

Any ideas? Here are some screenshots. Hardware/network details in signature.

Attachments

• Screenshot (2).png
    Screenshot (2).png
    40.7 KB · Views: 112
  • Screenshot (4).png
    Screenshot (4).png
    63.4 KB · Views: 78

jhl

Dabbler
What's the other end of the Iperf test (what other device are you talking to at 192.168.1.120)? How is that device connected to your network? Is it connected wirelessly, plugged into another Ethernet jack on the same router, etc? Can you confirm the other computer is working normally If you have 2 known working devices which can access the internet etc at normal speed... can these other known-good devices talk to each other at full speed using the same ports on the same network equipment?

twhornback

Dabbler
What's the other end of the Iperf test (what other device are you talking to at 192.168.1.120)? How is that device connected to your network? Is it connected wirelessly, plugged into another Ethernet jack on the same router, etc? Can you confirm the other computer is working normally If you have 2 known working devices which can access the internet etc at normal speed... can these other known-good devices talk to each other at full speed using the same ports on the same network equipment?
Thanks for your reply. Attached is the other end of the Iperf (Windows 11 client), it's over WiFi.

Other known-good devices can talk to each other at full speed using the same ports on the same network equipment.

Attachments

• Screenshot (5).png
    Screenshot (5).png
    226.2 KB · Views: 96

twhornback

Dabbler
Test results from both sides.

Attachments

• Screenshot (6).png
    Screenshot (6).png
    113.8 KB · Views: 120

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Yeah, your network is not in great shape, as evidenced by the bitrates that rival 2008 cell service. We can try to offer some advice, but you'll need to tell us more about what's going on with your network.

twhornback

Dabbler
Yeah, your network is not in great shape, as evidenced by the bitrates that rival 2008 cell service. We can try to offer some advice, but you'll need to tell us more about what's going on with your network.
Pretty abyssmal. Everything else on the network operates at fiber speeds. I have network details in my signature.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
That's really not much to go on. Is there a switch in there? What else is on the network? Any dodgy things like powerline or WiFi?

twhornback

Dabbler
That's really not much to go on. Is there a switch in there? What else is on the network? Any dodgy things like powerline or WiFi?
No switch. Server, client, and a couple IoT on network. Client is connected via WiFi, but like I said speeds are normal other than connecting to the server. I'm scratching my head.

jhl

Dabbler
Bad network cable?

Did it ever work right or is this a fresh install of Truenas immediately not working right?

Can you put another OS on the hardware to make sure it's working properly? If Windows (or your OS of choice) also performs horribly on the same hardware this isn't an issue with Truenas.

I see you have 2 different types of Intel NIC in your server. You said you tried another port on your router but have you tried another NIC on your server?

Are both ports on your server plugged in? Try one at a time plugged in. Depending on your configuration this will hurt more than it helps and I'm guessing your router does not support link aggregation, and you are not going to be able to get 2 NICs working well.

twhornback

Dabbler
Thanks for the reply.
Not the network cable, I plugged it into the client and ran a speed test.

Fresh install not working right, I even ran another fresh install just to be sure.

I'm going to try another OS tonight and see what happens.

I tried both NICs.

Only the one ethernet cable plugged into the server.

twhornback

Dabbler
Bad network cable?

Did it ever work right or is this a fresh install of Truenas immediately not working right?

Can you put another OS on the hardware to make sure it's working properly? If Windows (or your OS of choice) also performs horribly on the same hardware this isn't an issue with Truenas.

I see you have 2 different types of Intel NIC in your server. You said you tried another port on your router but have you tried another NIC on your server?

Are both ports on your server plugged in? Try one at a time plugged in. Depending on your configuration this will hurt more than it helps and I'm guessing your router does not support link aggregation, and you are not going to be able to get 2 NICs working well.
Update: New OS on server has not solved the slow transfer speeds. However, transferring from an iPhone and also macOS to the server operates at expected speeds.

I tried running a Windows 10 vm on the Windows 11 client, no change there.

twhornback

Dabbler
In addition to my last, according to GUIs in speed, it will fluctuate between 300-600 kB/s, while within the Win10 vm, it will rapidly fluctuate between 20 kB/s and 1.5 mb/s. Being above 1.0 mb/s for one tick. So, a very slight improvement, but not really practical.