CIFS Directory Browsing Slow, NFS Fine

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstang1988

Contributor
Like many on the forum I have issues with directory browsing speeds on CIFS (SMB shares), both on Linux and on Windows so this narrows it down to not being the client side. Directory listing with NFS is fine and instant.

CIFS is my preferred methods of sharing (Windows and NFS is MEH). Only one directory really has the issue and it's the only directory with HUGE files and a large amount of data.

The folder has all my Movie backups totaling in the 3+ TB range (these are RAW Bluray rips). Each movie is in it's own folder.

i.e.

Movies
Movies/<Movie Name>/
Movies/<Movie Name>/<Movies Name>.mkv
Movies/<Movie Name>/<artwork>/
Movies/<Movie Name>/<artwork>/<artwork files>.jpg

I tried all of the things listed in the 5 page thread on how to solve the issue, some helped a little (disabling atime) the most. It's still dog slow until it's been cached and then it's almost instant. This is on Linux and Windows Clients.

How can I debug the holdup? It's not CPU, network, or disk bound. a local 'ls' or a remote list (from nfs mounted client) completes instantly in parallel while the SMB share still chugs along.

My system is running in ESXi with hardware passthrough
Quad Core i5 3.1Ghz
16GB Memory dedicated to freenas
PCIe Intel CT
4x3TB Seagate 7200RPM HD's
SSD for ESXi datastore that freenas is booted from

I get 100MB/s throughput both directions when moving large files.

I have around 700 directories.

I have folders with more files and more sub folders such as my Music directory which also has more files as each Album is in it's own directory with the files underneath it.

D

dlavigne

Did you ever figure this out? If not, which version of FreeNAS?

Status
Not open for further replies.