L2ARC: Strip (2) Intel SSD 335 Series 80 GB

BR.
agd

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You'd probably need something beefier.

jgreco

Resident Grinch
It'd probably be helpful to describe what your system is like and what you're trying to accomplish.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
Poor SLOG because it's not power-fail safe, L2ARC OK, but as @jgreco said please provide some more information regarding your system and your goals. A brief look in your comment history shows references to both CIFS/NFS and iSCSI.

marbus90

Guru
Intel S3700 100GB offers ~100MB/s sync writes, P3700 400GB (and 750 maybe as well) is at ~250MB/s. Those I'd pick for SLOG (which doesn't need to be mirrored).

Older, tiny SSDs are far from a good SLOG choice since the write speed will be abysmal.

L2ARC? meh. Crucial BX100 for example offers good read speeds.

Andres Gonzalez

Dabbler
Hardware specs:

MotherBoard Supermicro MBD-X9DRD-7LN4F-JBOD-O
CPU INTEL Xeon E5-2609V2
64 GB RAM
SAS Controler AOC-SAS2-9211-8I
5 HD SAS 3 TB

The system os going to store VMs no more that 5 Windows servers with VMWare (ESXi) using NFS as protocol.
I already have these SSD units from another project, but if they're not a good option I will not use it.

Regarding de SLOG, is no better and safer os to mirror ?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
For VM storage, make sure you're deploying mirror vdevs, not RAIDZ1. With 64GB of RAM you can certainly manage some L2ARC. If you have the 335's already they're probably fine for that.

The 311's I believe are supercap and if so are suitable for use as SLOG, but aren't particularly fast. There's probably no harm in trying them, and you can replace them with something faster if needed. No point in spending money until you know you need to. Today's choice for SLOG is probably the 750 (if you don't have a lot of writes) or the P3700 otherwise.

Andres Gonzalez

Dabbler
The interesting thing with the 750 is that are PCIe, but if the S3700 are ok, they are very good on price.

Regarding the RAID configuration, I'm planning 2 vdevs on mirror with an spare.
Configure a RAIDZ1 is not the best performance but wouldn't work ?

jgreco

Resident Grinch
The problem with SAS or SATA SSD's is latency. That will impact your performance. The 750 or the P3700 are basically some of the fastest things available. We have some forum members experimenting with the 750 right now IIRC.

2 mirrors and a spare is awesome.

RAIDZ1 isn't awesome for VM storage. It will tend to give you poor write performance (no better than a single drive) and variable read performance. The mirrors will write probably twice as fast and may read several times faster.

marbus90

Guru
raidz1 is bad for everything. :P

As for the P3700 400GB, it's capable of gulping up ~250MB/s worth of sync writes, or ~60-65k IOPS - tested in real-world with FreeNAS and ESXi.

marbus90

Guru
Sure, altough it's "only" ~25k IOPS.

And yes, I would do 2 mirrorsets plus a spare. raidz1 is bad for data integrity. at least you're using enterprise disks, but the chance of a failed rebuild is still >10%. I will hear no more of raidz1.

HoneyBadger

actually does care
Administrator
iXsystems
The 311's I believe are supercap and if so are suitable for use as SLOG, but aren't particularly fast.

No supercap on 311 or its successor the 313. If you have to go cheap, get a big Intel 320 and underprovision it like crazy, but a stock S3610 will probably outrun those and be new with more longevity.

Andres Gonzalez

Dabbler
No supercap on 311 or its successor the 313. If you have to go cheap, get a big Intel 320 and underprovision it like crazy, but a stock S3610 will probably outrun those and be new with more longevity.

Thanks. I'm thinking to use the 750, looks good on price-quality relationship.

Andres Gonzalez

Dabbler
Last edited:

jgreco

Resident Grinch
If I understand right, even with a SLOG device data is always written directly to the vdevs, and the SLOG unit is written like a "transaction log" ?
So no data is on SLOG or ZIL ?
Nevertheless this improves write performance ?

No, please re-read the second paragraph of the linked message. The ZIL is the ZFS intent log, which is just a list of things ZFS intends to do to the pool. The storage pool is only infrequently updated, once every few seconds, potentially with HUGE amounts of data, all neatly aggregated into a single transaction group.

If I understand right,

You don't, bluntly, sorry

even with a SLOG device data is always written directly to the vdevs,

vdevs don't meaningfully enter into this. vdevs build your pool. Worry about the pool. Stored data is not written directly to the pool, and instead gets aggregated into a transaction group in RAM. That'd be bad for sync writes since the filesystem is promising that those writes have been committed to stable storage. The ZIL handles that problem, but usually ZIL performance sucks, so then we pull the ZIL out and put it on a separate way-fast device we call a SLOG.

and the SLOG unit is written like a "transaction log" ?

We say intent log. A ZFS transaction is something else.

So no data is on SLOG or ZIL ?

The data in the ZIL is whatever data has not been committed to the pool as part of a transaction group. This is true whether you're using the in-pool ZIL or a separate SLOG device.

Nevertheless this improves write performance ?

No, sync write performance is usually suckier than standard write performance. You have a few options.

1) Lie about sync writes (ignore them): this is the only thing that's approximately as fast as standard write performance.

2) Do sync writes to the pool like a traditional filesystem. With ZFS this is untenable because it'd force a transaction group to be processed. Total non-starter.

3) Cheat by setting apart a section of the pool to make temporary notes about what you've promised to consumers. We call this a ZIL. Writes to the ZIL do not go through the transaction group process and happen synchronously. Performance is terrible but promises are kept.

4) Cheat on the solution in 3) by pulling that out of pool and putting it on a separate log (SLOG) device. This can be much faster than 3) but isn't faster than 1).[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Very clear ! Thanks.

ZFS has a terrible amount of stuff you need to know in order to do well with it. Don't hesitate to ask if needed, though also be aware that most questions have already been answered comprehensively, so searching is also a good route to enlightenment. We'll point you in the right direction one way or another.

Status
Not open for further replies.