BUILD Help with FreeNAS Build

Status
Not open for further replies.

fielder

Cadet
Hi,

I hope this is the correct section to ask this question. If not please direct me to the correct section.

I would like to setup FreeNAS for my home setup. I am going to be using FreeNAS with vmware. Here is my setup:

For FreeNAS:
Motherboard: Supermicro X9DR3-F
CPU: 2 x Intel Xeon E5-2620 2.0GHz
Memory: 128 GB ECC memory
Network: Intel Pro/1000 PT Quad Port Server Adapter
Controller: 3 x IBM M1015 in IT mode (straight pass through no RAID)
Hard Drives: 8 x SSD Samsung 840 Pro-256GB
7 x HD WD SE-4TB
5 x SSD Intel 320-160GB

For VMWare:
3 x Intel NUC 54250 with i5-4250U Processor and 16GB Ram in each. Each Intel NUC only has single built-in network port.

What is the best setup?

For the first vdev:
This will host all virtual machines (example domain controller, file server, print server) for vmware. Is it better to have 7 SSDs (Samsung 840 Pro) in RAIDZ3 and keep 1 SSD as cold spare or create 4 mirror vdevs using all 8 SSDs and no spare? Both will yield about 1TB of storage.

For the second vdev:
For this vdev how should I setup the 7 HDs? I am thinking about 7 HDs in RAIDZ3. That will yield about 16TB of storage. This will hold all data files for the file server. One of my hobbies is photography. So I have about 7+ TBs of photo and video files. Most other files would be small word/excel files.

What do you think about using the Intel 320 SSDs as SLOG and L2ARC? I was thinking about using 2 Intel 320 SSDs in mirrors as SLOG. And using 2 Intel 320 SSDs in mirrors as L2ARC. I would keep the last Intel 320 SSD as cold spare.

The only other use for FreeNAS server would be to use it as plex media server.

What is better to use in this scenario: NFS or iSCSI?

All the hardware I already have so I would like to use what I have and not have to buy anything new at the moment.

Please note; as another user just found out today, when using iSCSI and FreeNAS/ZFS you should only fill the pool to 50-60% at MAXIMUM as per the FreeNAS manual.

I personally cant weight in, so another more knowledgeable member should be able to provide more of an answer.

depasseg

FreeNAS Replicant
Striped mirrors is the way to go for performance. I'd highly recommend that for your VM's. For your all ssd pool, I don't think an SSD slog will help. And double check that the 320 has power fail backup and consider the consequences in case of a powerfail and it's not protected (not UPS protected, drive level protected).

I'm going NFS instead of iscsi. There are pros and cons to each. Do a lot of reading.

pro lamer

Guru
crosspost, my apologies
@ fielder:
Hi! Have you got your system up happily? I've got some question regarding C606 based SAS connectors...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.