Register for the iXsystems Community to get an ad-free experience and exclusive discounts in our eBay Store.

Slideshow explaining VDev, zpool, ZIL and L2ARC for noobs!

Yorick

Dedicated Sage
I guess that depends on how you define "bug." It's probably behaving as intended, but "as intended" is, well, not very good behavior. The pool configuration @kivalo is considering is not optimal or recommended, but that doesn't mean it's always a bad idea, and to prevent such configurations entirely with no possibility of bypassing the warnings doesn't seem like a very good idea--particularly when every previous version of FreeNAS has allowed for this (after appropriate warnings).
I'll quibble about "prevent such configurations entirely" - "zpool create raidz2 poolname dev1 ... devN" is still a thing. Anyone who runs that from CLI clearly meant to do that, whatever the (sub-optimal) outcome.

Without knowing how many people inadvertently, and warnings notwithstanding, created a vdev configuration they didn't mean to create, it's hard to make a judgment call on whether the pros of this change - keeps GUI users from shooting themselves in the foot - outweigh the cons: Need to drop to CLI to create mixed-disk-size vdevs.

naven

Good afternoon!

Installed Freenas... While I like everything, but I am not familiar with *nix systems, with the ZFS file system, and I would like to ask a few questions about the stability of such a storage. Say I have a pool of one hard drive. Can I insert this disk into a new computer with freenas installed from scratch and access the data? It's just that all these utilities are snapshots, pools, etc. - I can’t understand if the disk will work, as, say, I would insert a disk with ntfs or fat in a new computer.

danb35

Wizened Sage
Can I insert this disk into a new computer with freenas installed from scratch and access the data?
This seems an odd place to be asking the question, but yes--just import that pool into the new installation.