SOLVED single "Read Errors" on different drives

Arwen

MVP
What are the disk manufacturer & models on this second pool?

Lesani

Dabbler
I only really have one pool at this time.

I had HGST drives

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Vendor: HGST
Product: HUS724040ALS640
Revision: A3A0
Compliance: SPC-4
User Capacity: 4,000,787,030,016 bytes [4.00 TB]
Logical block size: 512 bytes
LU is fully provisioned
Rotation Rate: 7200 rpm
Form Factor: 3.5 inches

I had the feeling the DELL (Seagate) drives gave less errors, so I an now slowly replacing the ever unhealthy, degrading and faulting hgsts with

=== START OF INFORMATION SECTION ===
Vendor: SEAGATE
Product: ST4000NM0023
Revision: GS0F
Compliance: SPC-4
User Capacity: 4,000,787,030,016 bytes [4.00 TB]
Logical block size: 512 bytes
LU is fully provisioned
Rotation Rate: 7200 rpm
Form Factor: 3.5 inches

I have replaced the SAS cables with brand new ones, and routed them as far away from the power delivery as possible in this server chassis. I am still running into the same issue with read errors and drives faulting sooner or later. The HGST seem to be the worst offenders, with the last HGST drive (SDD) showing 62 read errors and pending a replacement, there is currently a resilver going on after I replaced an HGST with a Dell/Seagate drive (SDI) which is already showing checksum errors as well...

yRenmTP.png

NugentS

MVP
Well if it isn't the disks, must be the controller. Maybe???

Lesani

Dabbler
Whats a good hba to get that doesn‘t burst the bank? I have 2 mini-sas connectors going to the backplane.

SDD(hgst) is now faulted overnight with too many errors… SDI(Dell/Seagate) is accumulating more abd more checksums

Attachments

• 2E4A7F47-4AA9-4336-99B0-97915BE48ACA.jpeg
    2E4A7F47-4AA9-4336-99B0-97915BE48ACA.jpeg
    58.2 KB · Views: 78

NugentS

MVP
The answer to that question is always LSI - it then depends on what flavour you want.
Caveats:
1. Not MegaRAID
2. It needs to flashed to IT Mode

Lesani

Dabbler
quick update: Brand new cables, different drives (the dell drives described above), same situation. Drives get faulted because of read errors.

Samuel Tai

Never underestimate your own stupidity
Unfortunately, it appears your HBA is going bad.

sretalla