Sickbeard Permission Woes

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris pucknell

Explorer
Hey

Have been googling this for hours with no joy.

I have recently installed plex/couchpotato/sickbeard/transmission following this guide to get some movie/tv download/organization automation going on.

All appears to be well, except for sickbeard. It refuses to create folders.

I get a message saying 'unable to create folder /media/TV_Series/SHOW NAME' referring to the jail destination folder. This is a bit odd isn't it? doesn't the plugin have access to it's own jail?

I'm at a loss, as I have very little unix know how. I saw one old thread claiming that I would need to create a user matching the plugin UID and add it to the OWNER group for the TV_Series dataset to allow r/w permission, but I have no idea how to find the plugin UID, and I suspect this might be outdated advice or i've got the wrong end of the stick.

Any enlightenment on this issue would be most appreciated :D

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
that is the thread I saw ^_^

So how do I find out the plugins UID?
you could figure it out with 'ls -l' from the command line, or in the thread I linked click the button that says "show relevant plugin information"

chris pucknell

Explorer
Following the commands in your guide for Solution 2, it looks like i've gotten it to work :D Nice one!

I thought Solution 1 would be the easiest / neatest to implement, but I was unable to get to work. I tried making a user 'sickbeard' with UID 816 as your thread suggested, and adding 'wheel' to the user's auxiliary group, the owner group for the dataset, but no dice.

I'm afraid I am still too noob to totally get it. With the ls -l command, I don't really know what i'm looking for :/ I'd love to know what i'm getting mixed up on here.

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Following the commands in your guide for Solution 2, it looks like i've gotten it to work :D Nice one!

I thought Solution 1 would be the easiest / neatest to implement, but I was unable to get to work. I tried making a user 'sickbeard' with UID 816 as your thread suggested, and adding 'wheel' to the user's auxiliary group, the owner group for the dataset, but no dice.

I'm afraid I am still too noob to totally get it. With the ls -l command, I don't really know what i'm looking for :/ I'd love to know what i'm getting mixed up on here.
Glad you got it working.

The way you describe trying to do solution 1 is not what is written. Adding FreeNAS users to groups never fixes plugin permissions because the jail doesn't care about freenas users/groups (this is described in "FACTS")

Status
Not open for further replies.