FreeNAS Semi-noob trying to install tpb sickbeard branch

Status
Not open for further replies.

HelloFreeNAS

Dabbler
Hey

I'm trying to get on of the modified sickbeard sources with piratebay support to run on my FreeNAS machine. Sickbeard can't fetch more than like 2 episodes on EZRSS (the only free/non-invite torrent feed on sickbeard) and when it does snatch something, it often throws errors to do with downloading it.

I've tried following a couple tutorials but seem to be having some trouble with both methods.

1. Someone suggested to run this command on a blog tutorial's comment section:
rm -r /usr/pbi/sickbeard-amd64/share/sickbeard/Sick-Beard /usr/pbi/sickbeard-amd64/etc/sickbeard/* && git clone https://github.com/echel0n/SickRage.git /usr/pbi/sickbeard-amd64/share/sickbeard/Sick-Beard

Entering that in the shell just gives me 'unknown directory or file' or something like that. I've tried adding jails/sickbeard_1/ to those locations and even mnt/(my storage name)/jails/sickbeard_1 but it still gives me that message.

2. Joshua Parker replied to a thread on these forums with this:
* install Sickbeard or SickBeard Anime
* delete the 'Sickbeard' folder in the /usr/pbi/sickbeard-amd64 or /usr/pbi/sb_anime-amd64 folder.
* replace the folder with the python source for Sickbeard TPB branch.
* chown -R media:media Sickbeard # set file ownership to 'media' user

I added a temporary user and permitted sudo, disabled password login and put it in the 'wheel' group but when trying to modify that folder through CIFS on my windows machine, it says that I don't have permission. Could this be because the jail or plugin was still running? I currently don't have access to my FreeNAS server currently as I'm out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

EDIT: I got home and tried doing it while sickbeard was stopped in the plugin menu (don't know how to stop the jail though), and made the temp user's id 816 (I think it was) as the security settings for the folder allowed 'Unix User 816' access. Didn't work... I still don't have permission apparently.

SinDeus

Explorer
Hi!
The second method Joshua provided is the best and easiest one for you. I think I know what troubles you: you can't seem to find the SickBeard directory, because it is in a jail. Locate your jails dataset (in the web GUI, under the "Jails" Tab, then "Configuration" sub-tab, "Jail Root"). Assuming your jails dataset is named jails, you will find the directory under:
Code:
jails/sickbeard_1/usr/pbi/sickbeard-amd64

Have you access to your jails dataset?

Edit: you can stop your jail via the web GUI, in Jails > Jails > locate the jail you want to stop, select it, and click on the "stop" button at the bottom of the list.

HelloFreeNAS

Dabbler
Hi!
The second method Joshua provided is the best and easiest one for you. I think I know what troubles you: you can't seem to find the SickBeard directory, because it is in a jail. Locate your jails dataset (in the web GUI, under the "Jails" Tab, then "Configuration" sub-tab, "Jail Root"). Assuming your jails dataset is named jails, you will find the directory under:
Code:
jails/sickbeard_1/usr/pbi/sickbeard-amd64

Have you access to your jails dataset?

Edit: you can stop your jail via the web GUI, in Jails > Jails > locate the jail you want to stop, select it, and click on the "stop" button at the bottom of the list.

I can find the directory fine, browsing to it on my windows laptop but no matter what I try, I can't get permission to modify the files. I added a temporary user and permitted sudo, made the id 614, disabled password login and put it in the 'wheel' group and just tried stopping the jail while I did it. Still not working... I've tried logging in with the root account details I use to access the gui but I think that's just for the web gui as it didn't work.

SinDeus

Explorer
What are the error messages that are shown?

HelloFreeNAS

Dabbler
Capture.PNG

SinDeus

Explorer
And what is CIFS share user?
Also, if you don't want to grant this user access to your jail folder, you can maybe do this task via SSH or FTP.

HelloFreeNAS

Dabbler
And what is CIFS share user?
Also, if you don't want to grant this user access to your jail folder, you can maybe do this task via SSH or FTP.

CIFS is the connection protocol that windows uses.
Just noticed that root login is an option for FTP. I was able to replace the files I needed to but even after resetting the permissions with that command I stated in the original post, the plugin failed to start. There was no message but it just stops loading.

Also, I found out that the command in the first method I stated needs to be ran in the jail's shell but I just get 'rm: no match'.

I'm currently following a tutorial on installing python source in a new jail. Will let you know how it goes.

SinDeus

Explorer
CIFS is the connection protocol that windows uses.
Yes, I know :) Sorry, my question was oddly formated, I just wanted to ask you what the user of the CIFS share was. I think this user doesn't have the access rights for writing into the jails directory.

HelloFreeNAS

Dabbler
Yes, I know :) Sorry, my question was oddly formated, I just wanted to ask you what the user of the CIFS share was. I think this user doesn't have the access rights for writing into the jails directory.
Well, in the user settings I permitted sudo and checked all the permission boxes.
Doesn't matter though, I was able to just make a new portjail and install the git python source in it and it works great.

Thanks for you help :)

SinDeus

Explorer
No problem, glad it works now.

RBaden

Dabbler
@hellofreenas I am glad you fixed your problem with sick beard. I am still none the wiser with mine, any advice on easy setup please

Many thanks

RB

HelloFreeNAS

Dabbler
@hellofreenas I am glad you fixed your problem with sick beard. I am still none the wiser with mine, any advice on easy setup please

Many thanks

RB
Not sure if you still need help. Sorry that it's this late but are you trying to install a sickbeard branch? Follow this tutorial, replacing the git URLs with that of the branch you want to install
forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/how-to-install-sickbeard-anime-version-from-git-on-freenas-9-1-and-other-git-projects.14611/

BlazeStar

Patron
Using 9.2.1.9

So I want to install Sickrage too.

I installed Sickbeard using the plunging method.

Then I want to follow these steps :

2. Joshua Parker replied to a thread on these forums with this:
* install Sickbeard or SickBeard Anime
* delete the 'Sickbeard' folder in the /usr/pbi/sickbeard-amd64 or /usr/pbi/sb_anime-amd64 folder.
* replace the folder with the python source for Sickbeard TPB branch.
* chown -R media:media Sickbeard # set file ownership to 'media' user

When I SSH to the jail, went to "/usr/pbi/sickbeard-amd64" but I didn't see any sickbeard subfolder to delete.

I did see a sickbear folder under "/usr/pbi/sickbeard-amd64/share" though.

So I figured it had to be the right one.

Then I installed GIT using:

Then I cloned to the right folder (I think?) using:
Code:
pkg_add -r git

Code:
git clone  git clone https://github.com/echel0n/SickRage.git /usr/pbi/sickbeard-amd64/share/sickbeard

then changed the ownership of /usr/pbi/sickbeard-amd64/share/sickbeard to media:media recursively.

Now when I got in the plug-in tab, I can't start sickbeard no more.

I click the on/off and it will "load" then stay off.

What did I do wrong :'(

Thanks!

Last edited:

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Using 9.2.1.9

So I want to install Sickrage too.

I installed Sickbeard using the plunging method.

Then I want to follow these steps :

When I SSH to the jail, went to "/usr/pbi/sickbeard-amd64" but I didn't see any sickbeard subfolder to delete.

I did see a sickbear folder under "/usr/pbi/sickbeard-amd64/share" though.

So I figured it had to be the right one.

Then I installed GIT using:

Then I cloned to the right folder (I think?) using:
Code:
pkg_add -r git

Code:
git clone  git clone https://github.com/echel0n/SickRage.git /usr/pbi/sickbeard-amd64/share/sickbeard

then changed the ownership of /usr/pbi/sickbeard-amd64/share/sickbeard to media:media recursively.

Now when I got in the plug-in tab, I can't start sickbeard no more.

I click the on/off and it will "load" then stay off.

What did I do wrong :'(

Thanks!
there's no need to do this as of yesterday.

there is an official SickRage plugin in the repo. just install that.

Skyler

Dabbler
there's no need to do this as of yesterday.

there is an official SickRage plugin in the repo. just install that.

How should we go about updating the plugin from git? I'm quite a few commits behind on the Master Branch, but when I attempted to updated from the SickRage GUI it stalled.

Should I "chown -R media:media /usr/pbi/sickrage-amd64/share/sickrage/*" and then try running the update again?

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
How should we go about updating the plugin from git? I'm quite a few commits behind on the Master Branch, but when I attempted to updated from the SickRage GUI it stalled.

Should I "chown -R media:media /usr/pbi/sickrage-amd64/share/sickrage/*" and then try running the update again?
you use the GUI. it stalled cause the latest update of SR broken on freebsd.

you can follow this issue on the SR forums.
my suggestion is don't update until SR fixes this

Joshua Parker Ruehlig

Hall of Famer
Makes sense. I'll sit tight until SickRage is updated. Thanks for the heads up
this was fixed, go ahead and update to your hearts content

Status
Not open for further replies.