Shutdown (What If's)

timlab55

Dabbler
I can't really wait until my computer get's here. But anyway, during this time I've done alot of reading (in the documentation) and boards. But I figure I would get it from the horses mouth "TrueNAS" horse. Here's my question. One night I go to bed and wake up in the morning. I notice that the NAS isn't on, as I know last night it was on. I tried everything to get it to come back on and can't. Now the files (data) that I have on my hard drive in the NAS, can I plug that hard drive into my normal computer and be able to read the files?
Thanks

It's technically possible with a recent Linux distro that supports ZFS. Manjaro (Arch Linux based) recently had its zfs packages updated to version 2.0 (previously 0.8.6). You would have to familiarize yourself with terminal commands, however.

You might want to invest in one of these, so that you can pop in your drives, like a toaster, and use the USB 3.0 connection to read the drives on your PC. This will be very slow, since all the drives will be sharing bandwidth on the USB connection, but it can work in a pinch for emergency situations or to recover specific files.

EDIT: You don't need to install the distro. Boot it into a "live" session from a USB flash drive.

Last edited:

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I can't really wait until my computer get's here. But anyway, during this time I've done alot of reading (in the documentation) and boards. But I figure I would get it from the horses mouth "TrueNAS" horse. Here's my question. One night I go to bed and wake up in the morning. I notice that the NAS isn't on, as I know last night it was on. I tried everything to get it to come back on and can't. Now the files (data) that I have on my hard drive in the NAS, can I plug that hard drive into my normal computer and be able to read the files?
Thanks
Ehh, yes but not worth the trouble. Just boot with freenas and pull your data off.

timlab55

Dabbler
Okay, I alittle bit confused now. I was thinking trueNAS was freenas?
Thanks

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Okay, I alittle bit confused now. I was thinking trueNAS was freenas?
Thanks
Yeah same thing. Just new name as of the 12.0 release. Roadmap has changed a little but not something to care much about.