SOLVED Should my boot device still be a flash USB drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Theoretically iozone and such are good tests, but they are also bad tests for a bunch of reasons. There's no secret sauce. To be honest, we've had this discussion and run the tests, and the difference between a relatively modest USB2 and a very fast USB3 was about 10 seconds of bootup time. The boot device speed doesn't really matter as much as you'd think. Also if you consider the fact that a bootup takes 3-5 minutes (for relatively large servers), and the fact that you rarely do a bootup, how much effort are you willing to spend to save a few seconds (or even a minute) on a process that you aren't doing regularly.

Not to sound like I'm belittling your question or saying my time is ultra-valuable, but it's so inconsequential in the big picture its literally not even worth the brain-power to think about. You know what I mean? Just buy Corsair or Mushkin USB stick that's on sale and is at least 4GB (I'd recommend 8GB or 16GB because of 9.3) and never think twice about it again. :p

Last edited:

RoboKaren

Contributor
So I switched my boot drive from my Lexar flash drive to a USB 2.5" hard drive and saw no difference in boot times (as cyberjock said); so I'm switching back to the USB flash drive and will just simply mirror it. Seems the simplest way to go.

joeschmuck

Old Man
I'm using a SSD on my test rig, although I didn't time it, there was no perceivable savings in time booting the device.

Status
Not open for further replies.