Shockingly Slow File Transfers - Not The Network

Kristoff

Cadet
Hi guys

As I’m sure you can tell I’m a newbie to the forum, but been using Freenas For a good while now. I have never been able to resolve an issue with file transfer speeds.

The network has been tested and recently upgraded. Throughput on the network is 500gbs. I have a WD my cloud running in the network also which I can write to at around 40mbs. Everything else on my network is lightning fast.

The machine:

HP Proliant Microserver Gen 8 with 16gb ram. This solely runs freenas. Software version -FreeNAS-11.2-U5.

When I transfer a file to the freenas server I’m lucky to get 3mbs. On both windows and macs, afp shares for the macs and time machine and smb shares for windows. Again all the computers in my home can transfer between them or to other locations really quickly.

It’s not a hardware issue, as the server ran Linux for a while and didn’t have this problem. Which leads me to think it’s software related. Any ideas what I could have missed? Or any tweaks I can make?

I really appreciate any assistance

Kriss

jgreco

Resident Grinch
Welcome to the forums.

Help us help you by communicating clearly. We have no idea what "500gbs" means. 500 gigabytes? 500 gigabits per second? 500 gigabytes per second? Please take a few moments to review out Terminology and Abbreviations Primer at

https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/terminology-and-abbreviations-primer.28174/

This is necessary to make sure everyone is on the same page and we correctly understand what you are communicating.

In order to help identify any issues that arise out of choice of hardware or configuration, the Forum Rules, conveniently linked in red at the top of each page, requests that you post a full hardware manifest and description of your configuration, which is often very helpful in identifying where things are going astray.

For network problems, I highly suggest also providing testing results from iperf2 to indicate whether or not your network connection is functioning correctly. Regardless of whether it previously ran Linux and "didn't have this problem," a NAS is a complicated device with a number of subsystems which all have to be functioning correctly in order for you to get good performance. Starting with the network is a fairly easy thing to do.