FreeNas loses network connection during file transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

dporzio

Dabbler
I set up a FreeNas server with an HP Pavillion box with 512MB of RAM and 2TB drive. There is a dedicated 300GB HDD for the OS. The unit boots fine and I can turn a web browser to the box with no problems. I set up a Windows share and CIFS service. Very basic. I transferred all my media files to the NAS using Cobain Back-up 10. Then Iupgraded my PC to win 7 64 bit. Now I am trying to transfer these large files back to the PC. Almost every time I try, the file transfer stops because the FreeNas box falls off the network. It can not be pinged from the cmd prompt. When I go to the NAS there is an error message (see attachment with screen shot). I can get the NAS bacl on line with a reboot, but the same thing will happen if I try and transfer again. I have it set up as UFS file system so I do not understand the error message reference to the ZFS file system and I have no clue how to re-write the code that is suggested. A step by step instruction on what the heck to do would be appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• FREENAS Error msg.jpg
    FREENAS Error msg.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 477

ProtoSD

MVP
You need more RAM, that's barely enough to load just the OS/kernel and expand the OS filesystems to RAMdisk.
You're also wasting a 300GB harddrive since FreeNAS is not intended to be run from a harddrive... Read some more documentation or try using version .7 (link in the titlebar at the top of the page).

dporzio

Dabbler
Protosd,

How much Ram do you suggest. I just stuck another 1GB stick in to make 1.5GB and just ran in to the same issue.

DP

dporzio

Dabbler
I am also getting a compact flash card and IDE converter to set up the OS. I need to get the files off the FreeNAS before I re-load the OS on the CF or I will lose them. I am stuck here. These are large AVI files. I tried converting them and them same problem occurred.

DP

dporzio

Dabbler
One last comment. The FreeNas just went offline as I was trying to copy a file from it to my PC. When I went to go reboot it, the screen was in the standard boot screen, waiting for me to choose one of the 9 options. No error message at all.

dporzio

Dabbler
This is the screen shot i see

Attachments

• freenas-wiki1-image01.jpg
    freenas-wiki1-image01.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 475

ProtoSD

MVP
If that's the screenshot you're seeing, you're posting in the wrong forums. That's version .7, sorry I assumed you were using version 8.x since that is the version this forum is for, guess I should I verified. Please go to the .7 forums, the link is at the top of this page in the titlebar...

dporzio

Dabbler
No my bad. It is FreeNAS 8, that pic was just something I grabbed off the web to give a general idea of what it looks like. Definitely Ver 8

ProtoSD

MVP
Oh, ok. I think it's pretty important if you are using ZFS to have no less than 4GB of RAM. Which version of FreeNAS 8 did you install, the i386 or the AMD64 version?

Milhouse

Guru
Broadcom NIC? bge driver? If so, known FreeBSD issue, swap the NIC for an Intel CT.

nismohks

Dabbler
hey im also experiencing a temporary loss of connection during a large file transfer.

im using freenas8 amd64 with 8gb ecc ram on my hp microserver and last night when i was doing a large folder (400gb) transfer via win7x64 file copy, the connection dropped every 40 mins or so (estimated)
windows will say that the network isnt available anymore but when i click "try again" it will work and resume again.
throughout all this, the web manager continues to work and freenas doesnt say any down time in the system info tab.

someone suggested that it was my ecc ram giving errors?
but wouldnt that just bring the whole machine crashing down?

any ideas?

ctantra

Dabbler
I'm with you nismohks, exactly experienced the same problem with you.

Each time I tried to copy large file (around 1,3TB) from W7U x64 to Freenas, always got disconnected. I should click try again then it would resume. But then it disconnected again asking for clicking resume. I tried to restart Freenas, destroyed and made zpool again, but the problem still persisted.

After I pulled out the JMB363 SATA Card, now only 5 HDDs were connected to onboard sata with RAIDZ, the copy process ran smooth. I still don't understand what's the connection between JMB363 with the problem. Any ideas?

nismohks

Dabbler
Ya exactly the same thing.... Just keeps saying disconnection and asks to retry but will resume immediately after each time.

I don't have another Sata card in my pc, just 4 Sata via onboard to 4 seagate 2tb 5900 rpm drives. Is there a log somewhere on freenas that I can check?

dporzio

Dabbler
Sorry, I have not had a chance to get back to this. I am not sure my situation pertains to your post. My NAS is ultra simple. Just HDD running on SATA input. NO RAID or anything complicated > I am going to put up a comprhemsive post on this, whta my systlem is and what issues I am having. I can not get the NAS even on teh network with my on board NIC, I have to use a USB to LAN adaptor to get an IP assigned. More later. Thanks for the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.