Status
Not open for further replies.

DaPlumber

Patron

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

vuarnet

Cadet
Can we disable bash without posing any risk to our FreeNAS box? I currently have CIFS, AD integration, and Apple shares enabled... not sure if any of that requires bash :/

My FreeNAS box isn't exposed to the public and doesn't connect to the Internet so I'm not terribly worried, but still...

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Can we disable bash without posing any risk to our FreeNAS box? I currently have CIFS, AD integration, and Apple shares enabled... not sure if any of that requires bash :/

My FreeNAS box isn't exposed to the public and doesn't connect to the Internet so I'm not terribly worried, but still...

Just wait for the 9.2.1.8 to come out. I'm sure it will be out soon, but it takes some time to do proper testing before releasing software.

By the way, it's not even clear that there is a way to exploit this bug on FreeNAS.

vuarnet

Cadet
Just wait for the 9.2.1.8 to come out. I'm sure it will be out soon, but it takes some time to do proper testing before releasing software.

By the way, it's not even clear that there is a way to exploit this bug on FreeNAS.

Thanks for the consolation -- I agree it's not that big of a deal. I didn't even think FreeNAS used bash until this -- I just assumed it used csh like FreeBSD. Learn something new every day :)

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Thanks for the consolation -- I agree it's not that big of a deal. I didn't even think FreeNAS used bash until this -- I just assumed it used csh like FreeBSD. Learn something new every day :)
I'm not a developer and so I don't know whether bash is used. It could be that bash is installed by default for convenience of users. FreeNAS is designed as an appliance (you can't just choose to install a new shell), so it makes sense to include such things by default. Or it could be that bash is used in some FreeNAS scripts (like the CLI version of warden). I don't know and I'm too lazy to find out. :)

cyberjock

Inactive Account
Locking this thread as we don't need "another bash vulnerability" thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.