Shell Tab Complete Case Sensitivity

Neme

Dabbler
I am in the process of playing around with a test VM of 11.2-U3, with a view to upgrading/re-installing my home 9.2.1.6 server at some point in the near future.

One difference I have noticed while checking out shell access (through the GUI and SSH) is that when compared to 9, the 11 shell tab complete seems to be case sensitive where as under 9 it is not.

For example, if I have a folder called "Test", under 9.2.1.6 if I type "cd te" or "cd Te" and hit tab this completes to "cd Test", under 11.2-U3 it doesn't tab complete unless I type "cd Te" and hit tab.

Changing my user shell over to bash sorts it out for my user, however under root (either using the GUI shell or through SSH using su -) tab complete is still case sensitive. I am loathed to change the shell configured for root in case this has any knock on effects on the system (and having tested, it doesn't seem to make any difference anyway).

Obviously this is partly me being "lazy" or just taking advantage of an effort saving mechanism. Is this something that can be configured/changed (through either GUI or config files etc)? Or should I leave it alone for fear of breaking stuff?

I have had a search around but can't seem to find anything specific to FreeBSD/FreeNAS that seems to be relevant/works.

Thanks for any thoughts, or even suggestions as to why case insensitive tab complete is a bad thing, or why I shouldn't make such a change.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Between the version you have and the current version, the default shell was changed. Simple as that.

I would suggest not changing it because of other impact that may have on functionality.

I think you should update your system more often. Is the system you have using ZFS for the storage?

Neme

Dabbler
Between the version you have and the current version, the default shell was changed. Simple as that.

I figured as much and accept that I'm many versions behind and some things are just "different", just thought I'd see if it was possible to change the behaviour.

I think you should update your system more often. Is the system you have using ZFS for the storage?

You are probably right, though this is strictly a home server for 1-2 users, mostly serving media files and has been fulfilling my needs for a while now.

It is using ZFS for storage (though not the FreeNAS OS drive). Current RAIDZ3 of 11x 3TB WD Reds is getting towards full (or at least full enough (~80%) to start hitting the performance penalties). So thought now is as good a time as any to take some full backups, detach the pool, re-install FreeNAS to the latest and greatest and import the old pool. Once that's all happy I'll be looking to stick 12x 10 or 8 TB Reds in (not decided on the VDEV layout yet) on a new pool and move all the data over.

Oh yeah, along with the requisite -IT firmware updates on the 3x M1015's running the show :)

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
It is using ZFS for storage (though not the FreeNAS OS drive). Current RAIDZ3 of 11x 3TB WD Reds is getting towards full (or at least full enough (~80%) to start hitting the performance penalties). So thought now is as good a time as any to take some full backups, detach the pool, re-install FreeNAS to the latest and greatest and import the old pool. Once that's all happy I'll be looking to stick 12x 10 or 8 TB Reds in (not decided on the VDEV layout yet) on a new pool and move all the data over.
Sounds like a decent plan, but you might want to keep your old boot media to the side and do the new install on fresh media. That way you can easily go back if you need to.
I have done similar upgrades several times over the years.
Do you have enough drive bays to mount the old pool and a new pool at the same time? If you can, it is a fairly easy and relatively quick process to directly copy from one pool to the other.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Oh yeah, along with the requisite -IT firmware updates on the 3x M1015's running the show :)
would you be willing to share your hardware details?
Chassis you are using, system board, processor etc...

Neme

Dabbler
Do you have enough drive bays to mount the old pool and a new pool at the same time? If you can, it is a fairly easy and relatively quick process to directly copy from one pool to the other.

Yeah, got 24 bays available, 12 populated at the moment so all good to get both pools up and running side by side. Was probably going to rsync it all across, unless there's better ways to do it?

would you be willing to share your hardware details?
Chassis you are using, system board, processor etc...

Sure, no problem. Have added all the details to my signature. Went down the ESXi route to give a multipurpose platform, though all done "properly" using vt-d passthrough for the HBAs and all the relevant fail over to bare metal testing etc.

Was originally built around Q3 2013 so it's getting on a bit now, but still does everything I need, though RAM is in short supply given the 32GB max on the E3 v2 Xeon. Potentially looking to upgrade at some point, have been eyeing up the Supermicro X10SRL-F & Xeon E5-1650 V4, would combine that with moving up to ESXi 6.7 or whatever is around (and stable) at the time. I could then chuck a bunch more RAM into the mix.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Potentially looking to upgrade at some point, have been eyeing up the Supermicro X10SRL-F & Xeon E5-1650 V4, would combine that with moving up to ESXi 6.7 or whatever is around (and stable) at the time. I could then chuck a bunch more RAM into the mix.
I would suggest used gear from eBay if you don't have a strong objection to it. You can get significantly more server for your money that way. Several of the forum regulars, including me, have bought lightly used data-center gear off eBay and been very happy with it. I could make some recommendations if you are interested.

Was it your intention to make your next FreeNAS a virtual machine?