Shell Semantics

Status
Not open for further replies.

ere109

Contributor
I'm currently copying my old NAS to my FreeNAS through the FN shell (about 2TB of data). Can I close that shell, play with other settings, and come back to that shell session to check progress?

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I'm currently copying my old NAS to my FreeNAS through the FN shell (about 2TB of data). Can I close that shell, play with other settings, and come back to that shell session to check progress?
Are you using the 'shell' through the Web GUI?
You should set up SSH so you can remotely connect without using the web-page, if you have not done that yet.
Once you have SSH set up, you can open multiple SSH sessions. You can also open more than one copy of the web interface.

Last edited by a moderator:

ere109

Contributor
Thanks to both of you. I'm now using tmux through the GUI shell. Chris, I had set up SSH and logged in remotely, but the limitation there was that I then had to leave my laptop on indefinitely. Now knowing tmux, I can use that function for both situations.

danb35

Hall of Famer
The nice thing (well, a nice thing) about tmux is that you can attach to that session from anywhere--console, web GUI shell, SSH session, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.