how to remove bad tunable?? where is Loader prompt?

SMnasMAN

Contributor
I cant for the life of me find out how you remove a bad tunalbe from FN 11.2.

there is this excellent entry in the 8.2 manual:
https://www.ixsystems.com/documentation/freenas/8.2/freenas.html#__RefHeading__66967_627492046

but nothing even close to that in the 9.3 - 11.2 manuals.
(i think bc FN moved to grub, so no more loader?)

so how do i get rid of a bad tunable that keeps getting auto applied at boot?

(btw its one of these below that is killing everything, via shell i can reverse it so that networking comes back up and i can do service openssh restart , to get ssh (same w nginx, but cant login to web gui) , so i cant get to web gui screen to disable the tunable):

net.inet.tcp.sendspace=2097152
net.inet.tcp.sendbuf_inc=32768
net.route.netisr_maxqlen=2048

tks

SMnasMAN

Contributor
not sure if this is the way to get to loader now (THE MANUAL NEEDS TO BE UPDATED TO ADDRESS THIS / BAD TUNABLES, just like the 8.3 manual!)

https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/setting-tunables-at-time-of-install.71985/post-504420

but for those looking, this is what i ended up having to do (there *has* to be a better way):

Code:
[root@freenas /etc]# sqlite3fn
sqlite> .open /data/freenas-v1.db
sqlite> .tables

sqlite> SELECT * FROM system_tunable WHERE tun_enabled = 1 AND tun_type = 'sysctl' ORDER BY id;
10|2097152|sysctl||1|net.inet.tcp.sendspace
11|2048|sysctl||1|net.route.netisr_maxqlen
sqlite> PRAGMA table_info(system_tunable);
0|id|integer|1||1
1|tun_value|varchar(512)|1||0
2|tun_type|varchar(20)|1||0
3|tun_comment|varchar(100)|1||0
4|tun_enabled|bool|1||0
5|tun_var|varchar(128)|1||0
sqlite> update system_tunable set tun_enabled=0 where id=10;
sqlite> SELECT * FROM system_tunable WHERE tun_enabled = 1 AND tun_type = 'sysctl' ORDER BY id
   ...> ;
sqlite> update system_tunable set tun_enabled=0 where id=11;
sqlite> .quit

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Please file a ticket in the bug tracker.

jbeez

Dabbler
not sure if this is the way to get to loader now (THE MANUAL NEEDS TO BE UPDATED TO ADDRESS THIS / BAD TUNABLES, just like the 8.3 manual!)

https://www.ixsystems.com/community/threads/setting-tunables-at-time-of-install.71985/post-504420

but for those looking, this is what i ended up having to do (there *has* to be a better way):

Code:
[root@freenas /etc]# sqlite3fn
sqlite> .open /data/freenas-v1.db
sqlite> .tables

sqlite> SELECT * FROM system_tunable WHERE tun_enabled = 1 AND tun_type = 'sysctl' ORDER BY id;
10|2097152|sysctl||1|net.inet.tcp.sendspace
sqlite> PRAGMA table_info(system_tunable);
0|id|integer|1||1
1|tun_value|varchar(512)|1||0
2|tun_type|varchar(20)|1||0
3|tun_comment|varchar(100)|1||0
4|tun_enabled|bool|1||0
5|tun_var|varchar(128)|1||0
sqlite> update system_tunable set tun_enabled=0 where id=10;
sqlite> SELECT * FROM system_tunable WHERE tun_enabled = 1 AND tun_type = 'sysctl' ORDER BY id
   ...> ;
sqlite> update system_tunable set tun_enabled=0 where id=11;
sqlite> .quit

Thanks so much for this. I've condensed this down a little for people maybe. At least I find it preferable.
I had an issue with a botched sysctl, I connected to the console, got a second tty because the first was getting destroyed with scrolling messages, I think its ctrl-alt-f2? something like that. Logged in as root.
Saved what I had in there for posterity, *you can also make a copy of freenas-v1.db if you wish*
Code:
sqlite3 /data/freenas-v1.db 'SELECT * FROM system_tunable;' > /mnt/bulk/backup/system_tunable.txt

or if you want it a little easier to read when you goto re-enter by hand:
Code:
sqlite3 /data/freenas-v1.db 'SELECT * FROM system_tunable;' | cut -d '|' -f 2,6 | sed s'/\|/ /g' | awk '{print $2" "$1}' > system_tunable.txt

Finally if you don't care about backing up any of that and you just want your system back to functioning...
Code:
sqlite3 /data/freenas-v1.db 'DELETE FROM system_tunable where id>0;'

OR just disable all of the tunables so you don't have to keep re-entering them.
Code:
sqlite3 /data/freenas-v1.db 'UPDATE system_tunable SET tun_enabled = 0 WHERE id>0;'

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

profwalken

Patron
@jbeez
I'm facing same kind of problem, on a TN core13 , i did a wrong setting on one tunable, my server has 2 NICs and I choose EM0 instead of IGB0.
Now i lose access from GUI.
I have no idea how to proceed to only disable the faulty line (i'm certain this is : natd_interface em0 )

Do you have an advice , with steps I need apply (I'm not an expert in linux) this is a production system so I need to get it back working

sretalla