Shell flooded with Intel Secure Key RNG returned no entropy. Encryption not working.

Status
Not open for further replies.

knutz

Cadet
Hello all!

Recently I bought a new FreeNAS setup. I've unfortunately run into a problem.
My setup:
Motherboard: ASRock Rack C3758D4I-4L with a Intel Atom Processor C3758
Ram: 2400 32GB Samsung ECC REG (M393A4K40BB1-CRC)
freenas-boot: 2 x 120G Kingston something SSD's mirrored
HDDs: 4 x 1.5TB WD green for testing.

I've successfully installed FreeNAS 11.2-BETA2 but when I boot for the first time the Shell is flooded with the messages shown below, rendering the Shell completely useless.
random_sources_feed: rs_read for hardware device 'Intel Secure Key RNG' returned no entropy.
random_sources_feed: rs_read for hardware device 'Intel Secure Key RNG' returned no entropy.
...and so on!

The UI works for me and I can use the Shell in the UI without any problems.
Unfortunately when I try to create my "data" pool with encryption it is stuck. I'm guessing the encrypted pool can't be created without entropy.
Upgrading to FreeNAS 11.2-BETA3 did not solve the problem for me. (also switching train to 12-master and upgrading did not fix this)

Does anyone have any idea what this could be or maybe have a solution to this? (I thougt about buying a USB hardware Random number generater, if that will work and there's no other solution)

Thanks!

knutz

Last edited:

knutz

Cadet
No, my BIOS settings doesn't seem to have that setting unfortunately.
Is it a part of AES-NI? And i guess that would have a hard impact on performance disabling that?

knutz

Cadet
Just a quick update:
Disabling AES-NI did not have any effect whatsoever. The shell still gets flooded with the same message. :/

D

dlavigne

It might be worth reporting at bugs.freenas.org then. If you do, post the issue number here.

Status
Not open for further replies.