Shell Colors

TheShellshock67

Dabbler
Hi everyone,

i just migrated a server from 9.3 to 11.1 U6.3 and immediately something caught my eye.
On 9.3 i had coloured folders when i ls'ed a directory via SSH.
This is no longer the case as was the current directory after the username.
I have fixed the working directory after my username by changing something in .cshrc but i cannot get te colours to get right.

Does anyone have a suggestion how to return this to blue colours for folders?

i've been poking around and tried some of the suggestions people had on other sites but these only change the username and hostname.

Thanks

Bryan

D

dlavigne

Shell colors are defined in the shell configuration file for that user. Googling how to do that for the shell you are using should indicate the name of the shell config file and the setting to use for that shell (as it is shell specific).

TheShellshock67

Dabbler
yes... this is what i tried already.
and i can get the shell to show usernames and path names correctly.
The problem however remains... folders are still in plain white while they were dark blue in previous versions.

Thanks!

fracai

Guru
Can you post what you've don so far to change the colors?

Hi everyone,

i just migrated a server from 9.3 to 11.1 U6.3 and immediately something caught my eye.
On 9.3 i had coloured folders when i ls'ed a directory via SSH.
This is no longer the case as was the current directory after the username.
I have fixed the working directory after my username by changing something in .cshrc but i cannot get te colours to get right.

Does anyone have a suggestion how to return this to blue colours for folders?

i've been poking around and tried some of the suggestions people had on other sites but these only change the username and hostname.

Thanks

Bryan
I hope I can help others with my findings so far. I know it is an old post but I hope my findings can help others in getting colours in their ssh session to TrueNAS. True I use the LINUX based TrueNAS SCALE (or shorter TNS). I leave it to someone else to test if it also works on TrueNAS.

So, I -- too -- want to see some colours when I ssh into my TrueNAS box. On my old Mac I use a terminal app called Zoc (https://www.emtec.com/zoc/) instead of the standard terminal.app to connect to remote servers via ssh but still, whatever terminal emulation I use, no colours, even when I set the variable TERM = xterm-256color and use a VT100 emulation (that has color support).

When I was ssh-ed into TNS I did a

# echo $SHELL

I found out TNS is using zsh as its default shell.

That brought me to something I use on my old Mac that is called Oh My Zsh (https://ohmyz.sh/). In a nutshell I would summarise OhMyZsh as eye candy Plus for zshell. I did install it on my TNS box and ... wait for it ... I have colors in my ssh session. Yes!

---

So, to summarise: if you want some color in your ssh and your are using zsh as your shell, try Oh My Zsh (https://ohmyz.sh/).
You can do many others things with OhMyZsh, but that is something you will probably find out yourself.

Enjoy!

Johan