SOLVED Share directory in Virtualbox Freenas

Status
Not open for further replies.

NasKar

Guru
I have created a freenas install in virtualbox to use as a test enviornment on my windows 10 computer. Everything works great so I can experiment. Despite googling and watching youtube videos I'm unable to create a shared folder to import some data from the windows machine to the VB FN install.

Device/Install guest additions CD but nothing happens. Creating a windows share in the VB FN install gives "you might not have permission ..." error. I've tried setting the FN dir to 777 and in windows have tried the user/group of the FN install and also my windows 10 install.

BTW my network settings in the VB is bridged mode.
I'm lost and would appreciate any advice. Thanks

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
You can't install anything in the base OS, that includes guest additions. If they're not included, and I think they're not, you can't do this.

Not sure why you'd want to, though, they're much messier than just using the network, as you would on a physical server.

NasKar

Guru
You can't install anything in the base OS, that includes guest additions. If they're not included, and I think they're not, you can't do this.

Not sure why you'd want to, though, they're much messier than just using the network, as you would on a physical server.
I get it, you can't use guest additions so that is why nothing happens.
Any idea why I can't access a windows share created on the virtual freenas in windows?
Shouldn't the user in windows be root and my root pw to login to freenas?

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

NasKar

Guru

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

NasKar

Guru
I got it working. Not sure which of the things I did fixed it.
1)reboot
2)changing the SMB service settings to bind to the IP of the freenas VM
3)having 2 freenas installs (my main and virtual box) and trying to use the same root user/password for both IPs in windows was a problem. Setup a different user in the VM

Status
Not open for further replies.