Share a folder within another share?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Catsrules

Dabbler
I would like to Share a folder within another share folder.

Let me explain with an example.

I have two Pools Pool1 with 1TB and Pool2 also with 1TB
Pool1 has a dataset called Movies at 900GB
Pool2 has a dataset called TV Shows at 500GB.

I can't store the two folder in the same folder because together they are to big to fit on a single Pool.

I would like to create a SMB share that looks like
\\freenasserver\Media\Movies
\\freenasserver\Media\TV Shows

So from an SMB perspective it would look like Movies and TV Shows are located in the same folder. When in fact they are located on complacently separate pools. Is that something FreeNAS can do?

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
I would like to Share a folder within another share folder.

Let me explain with an example.

I have two Pools Pool1 with 1TB and Pool2 also with 1TB
Pool1 has a dataset called Movies at 900GB
Pool2 has a dataset called TV Shows at 500GB.

I can't store the two folder in the same folder because together they are to big to fit on a single Pool.

I would like to create a SMB share that looks like
\\freenasserver\Media\Movies
\\freenasserver\Media\TV Shows

So from an SMB perspective it would look like Movies and TV Shows are located in the same folder. When in fact they are located on complacently separate pools. Is that something FreeNAS can do?

I'd probably do this as follows:
Create datasets:
  • Pool1/Media
  • Pool1/Media/Movies
  • Pool2/Media
  • Pool2/Media/TV\ Shows
Then create a symbolic link ln -s /mnt/Pool2/Media/TV\ Shows/ /mnt/Pool1/Media/TV\ Shows
Then disable Unix Extensions under "Services->SMB".
Then add the auxiliary parameter wide links = yes under "Services->SMB".
Finally add a samba share pointing to the path /mnt/Pool1/media

Catsrules

Dabbler
I'd probably do this as follows:
Create datasets:
  • Pool1/Media
  • Pool1/Media/Movies
  • Pool2/Media
  • Pool2/Media/TV\ Shows
Then create a symbolic link ln -s /mnt/Pool2/Media/TV\ Shows/ /mnt/Pool1/Media/TV\ Shows
Then disable Unix Extensions under "Services->SMB".
Then add the auxiliary parameter wide links = yes under "Services->SMB".
Finally add a samba share pointing to the path /mnt/Pool1/media
Wow your a genius that worked like a charm.

Question why do you need to disable Unix extensions? From the little help explanation it is suppose to help with symbolic links, I would have thought it would have been the opposite.

anodos

Sambassador
iXsystems
Wow your a genius that worked like a charm.

Question why do you need to disable Unix extensions? From the little help explanation it is suppose to help with symbolic links, I would have thought it would have been the opposite.

Unix extensions, among other things, allow unix clients to create symlinks inside a samba share. This can have serious security implications if it is combined with "wide links = yes". Clients will be able to create symlinks to arbitrary places in the server filesystem, which effectively makes it so that the entire server's filesystem is exposed through Samba. Russian mafia says "A++++ feature", hence this combination of parameters is disallowed in Samba.

Catsrules

Dabbler
Unix extensions, among other things, allow unix clients to create symlinks inside a samba share. This can have serious security implications if it is combined with "wide links = yes". Clients will be able to create symlinks to arbitrary places in the server filesystem, which effectively makes it so that the entire server's filesystem is exposed through Samba. Russian mafia says "A++++ feature", hence this combination of parameters is disallowed in Samba.

Ahh yeah that is a good feature not to have :)

Thanks for the explanation.

Status
Not open for further replies.