Setup of volumes for SQL Cluster.

Status
Not open for further replies.

fortuno

Cadet
Hi There,

Firstly I just need to mention that I have never done much with storage outside of direct attached disk. My background is databases and development. I want to kill 2 birds with the one stone by building a sandpit SQL cluster and therefore learn a bit about NAS architecture at the same time. What I have done to date is this ->

1) All servers are built using Oracle VirtualBox.
2) FreeNAS is 8.0.4-P3
3) All 64 bit
4) My domain controller is called fortuno-dc. IP address is 192.168.100.1. Domain name is fortuno.com.au
5) I have created two other virtual servers that will eventually be my cluster nodes. They are 192.168.100.2 and 192.168.100.3. Names are fortuno-n1 and fortuno-n2 respectively. They have been added to the domain.
6) I have created a FreeNAS server and configured it with an IP of 192.168.100.4
7) Using the menu, I also gave it my domain name and pointed it to my dns server (192.168.100.1)
8) From any of my Windows servers, I can use the URL. Using the URL, I have started the iSCSI service.

I have spent the last two days trying to get things working but now I have just confused myself. What I want to do is end up with 4 volumes (a quorum disk (5gb) , a data disk (50gb), a log disk (10gb) and a backup disk (50gb)). Initially I created 4 virtual disks but then my reading suggested I should simply create one large disk and then split it up. So what I have done is created a large virtual disk large enough to accommodate all my requirements and then have added this to FreeNAS via the URL.

Is this correct so far? If so, what are my next steps for allocating the disk. Also, I don't fully understand the format of the base name value.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Regards

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.