Settings (mainly network) Lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

aedan929

Dabbler
Hi all! This is mainly a question out of curiosity, because I already fixed it. I tried to FTP to my server in the car today and it didn't work. I went home to find out that some of my setting on my freenas server were changed back to default. Including FTP, and network interface. It hasn't been updated recently so what could be the issue? Sorry for not providing much detail, I don't really know what to say for a silly question like this!

kdragon75

Wizard
We need full details on your system. Boot drive, sata controller, motherboard, CPU, RAM, FreeNAS Version, anything else that goes into what makes your system.

aedan929

Dabbler
We need full details on your system. Boot drive, sata controller, motherboard, CPU, RAM, FreeNAS Version, anything else that goes into what makes your system.
No problem! I'll try to get as much as I can.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU 750 @ 2.67GHz
16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport XT
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
Built In graphics and Sata Controller
Boot: 32GB Kingston SSD
Data: 5*2TB Western Digital Red
FreeNAS-11.1-U5

Anything else?

MrToddsFriends

Documentation Browser
As a first step I don't have any better ideas than checking the integrity of the boot device. Any remarkable messages after having finished

System -> Update -> Verify Install
System -> Boot -> Scrub Boot

in the FreeNAS GUI?

BTW: Did you burn in / test your hardware before putting it into service (memtest, ...)?

aedan929

Dabbler
As a first step I don't have any better ideas than checking the integrity of the boot device. Any remarkable messages after having finished

System -> Update -> Verify Install
System -> Boot -> Scrub Boot

in the FreeNAS GUI?

BTW: Did you burn in / test your hardware before putting it into service (memtest, ...)?
I never did a memtest or anything related, but the system has been working flawlessly for the past 2 years. Both verification and boot pool scrub showed no errors.

kdragon75

Wizard
You should still run a memtest. As the data comes into the system from the network BEFORE zfs ever sees it there is still a risk of the RAM flipping bits. Once ZFS get the data, it will calculate checksums to verify later scrubs. Keep in mind you cant verify a chunk of data if you have never seen it before and have no reference.

aedan929

Dabbler
You should still run a memtest. As the data comes into the system from the network BEFORE zfs ever sees it there is still a risk of the RAM flipping bits. Once ZFS get the data, it will calculate checksums to verify later scrubs. Keep in mind you can't verify a chunk of data if you have never seen it before and have no reference.
I ran a memtest and got no errors. Thanks for the details! It's good to know that.

Status
Not open for further replies.