Setting up Rsync to push to external HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

gjonm

Dabbler
Hi all,

I'm wanting to set up a push from FreeNAS to an external HDD which I have setup on my router with an FTP address.

Do I need to instal anything onto my external HDD first (Rsync server) to allow FreeNAS to push to this external location?

Can anyone point my in the right direction?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
For all practical purposes, to transfer data over a network using rsync, you need both source and destination devices to have rsync installed. Attaching an external drive to your router isn't going to help unless your router has rsync installed, which would be unusual. Giving the drive an FTP address won't help. To summarize, unless you have a pretty unusual router, what you're trying to do isn't going to work.

gjonm

Dabbler
For all practical purposes, to transfer data over a network using rsync, you need both source and destination devices to have rsync installed. Attaching an external drive to your router isn't going to help unless your router has rsync installed, which would be unusual. Giving the drive an FTP address won't help. To summarize, unless you have a pretty unusual router, what you're trying to do isn't going to work.
Thanks for a clear response Robert.....I'll re-think that one then ;-)

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Just in case I'm missing something obvious, what is the make and model of the external drive?

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
I don't see any way to do what you want with this, other than using a client PC to perform the transfer. If Seagate released an eSATA adapter for it, and you installed an eSATA card in your server, you could backup to it directly.

Status
Not open for further replies.