push rsync from freenas to another server?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I'm pretty much a FreeNAS newbie and I'm trying to set up an rsync job to push really important data to another nas box (QNAP TS219P+) on my network.

I have looked over lots of tutorials online and i thought I'd set it up correctly, but the files are not replicating.

I have dug through the log files and found the following:

Mar 24 03:00:00 freenas /usr/sbin/cron[67447]: (tombuckland) CMD (PATH="/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/root/bin" lockf -s -t 0 -k '/mnt/BigHutchNAS/TomsFiles/Photographs' rsync -r -t -z '/mnt/BigHutchNAS/TomsFiles/Photographs' tombuckland@\HutchNAS\::FreeNAS_Backup 2>&1 |/usr/bin/logger -t rsync)

I ca't find any errors for the job not executing properly in this log (in the cron log)

This is the job I set up, so it does look like the FreeNAS box is tying to push the data to the other box, but I'm a total rsync beginner so I'm not too confident about working out why this is not working.

The QNAS implementation of rsync is made for dummies - part of the trouble with that is that I think it is doing stuff under hood which I can't figure out.

Can anyone offer any insights?

Thanks,

F'n'F

Ok thanks Robert, you were correct, some old DOS/Windows habits slipping in there... However I corrected the syntax and the job still doesn't run. I've added a password file for the rsync command to make a call to as per the FreeNAS documentation but still no dice. Can't find any error messages in the FreeNAS logs (tried the cron log and the messages log, any others I should look at?) and I can't find any errors on the QNAP box either. I'm getting frustrated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
Let me put it another way: Why are there slashes in the module spec?
I've added a password file for the rsync command to make a call to as per the FreeNAS documentation but still no dice
Please explain exactly what you mean by this. Your terminology is confusing.

Yes - I fixed the backslashes in the module name and also used an explicit IP address for the target.

The password issue is that as I'm not authenticating on the target as root, based on the FreeNAS documentation you have to point to a file containing the password for the backup user. This I've done.

The job still won't run though. I copied the rsync instruction from the CRON log and pasted that into the shell on the FreeNAS box and the job ran fine.

So there seems to be an issue with the way the job is being called/started.

I also forgot to mention that I was originally running 9.2.something, I've upgraded to the latest stable 9.3 version

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Robert Trevellyan

Pony Wrangler
I fixed the backslashes in the module name
Do you mean you removed them? There shouldn't be any slashes in the module spec. Please refer to the rsync documentation that I linked to earlier.
based on the FreeNAS documentation you have to point to a file containing the password for the backup user
Are you talking about the requirement to use public key authentication for rsync tasks? Have you set this up? Hint: public key authentication does not use passwords.

sgaar

Dabbler
I do rsync from my Freenas to my QNAP TS-670 Pro. Take a look at http://geeklingo.net/setting-rsync-freenas-qnap/ which gives you some more details on how to do it. The only thing I could not get to work is using an account on the QNAP system other than the built-in admin. I tried to created an admin account and use it, but the rsync log kept showing me that the job could not log on to the QNAP system. As soon as I changed the account to the built in Admin account, it started working.

Status
Not open for further replies.