SOLVED Setting up APC UPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

rogerh

Guru
It's already on of the custom files in /conf/base so it's a 5 min fix... they took like 100x times longer to discuss the problem in the bug tracker than the time it takes to implement it...

Ok, where I need to send it?
Oh, by the way, the NUT default for FINALDELAY is 5 seconds, not 10. Not a big issue, but I'd prefer 5!

rogerh

Guru

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Great, thanks, can you give us the bug number here, please?

Didn't created it for now, I'm busy buying components for the fans controller... :P

rogerh

Guru
Didn't created it for now, I'm busy buying components for the fans controller... :p
Well I don't suppose another month or two will make much difference, the time this has been going on. Doesn't actually affect me because I have got NUT running on my router and FreeNAS as a slave, but I do think when you can get time it will improve FreeNAS.

Bidule0hm

Server Electronics Sorcerer
Yeah, one more or less day... God, I'm on the components selection for more than 7 hours now, it's longer than I thought...

Harsesis

Explorer
OK I have another small problem with another APC unit. For my second Freenas build I bought another 1500er unit from APC (SUA1500I), a non rack unit. The unit seems to work fine in battery mode, but I have noticed that the ups does not report back a load (field ups.load) or current (output.current). Both of these fields is report an value of 0.0. Additionally the reported battery runtime is quite high (currently about 3.5 hours at 62% battery charge) which is quite to high. It not a really big deal as I will do the shutdown based on the battery charge anyway but I would like to hear if anyone of you every had this kind of problem.

I also tried using the powerchut software from APC on a windows machine and it also did not report the current load properly....

rogerh

Guru
I know that in recent years APC have tended to cripple the capabilities of all but their most expensive models, but a UPS that does not at least calculate its running time correctly, even if not actually reporting percentage load or current, sounds as though it is broken. I'd RMA it, or if you can't do that, ask APC what they think.

Harsesis

Explorer
The unit is from 2009 and it is a used one I got from eBay. It has New batteries and works fine (expect the reported load). I thought maybe this is a known issue....

rogerh

Guru
The unit is from 2009 and it is a used one I got from eBay. It has New batteries and works fine (expect the reported load). I thought maybe this is a known issue....
If it is an SUA150oI with no other suffix, it should have columns of LEDs rather than an LCD panel on the front, and probably be a bit older than 2009. This one should definitely know about its load, as one of the LED columns indicate this. With upsc mine gives the result 'ups.load=20.8' for instance. But not ups.current. If it is not like this then its model number probably has more to it than just SUA1500I. If it is the same, and you are using the correct NUT driver via a USB cable, then I reckon it is broken. Apparently some of the later ones will only work properly with NUT if you use a management card. Was it PowerchutePlus you were using? This certainly shows percentage load with mine.

Harsesis

Explorer
Yeah it has these LED's but they seem not to work properly... so I guess the unit has at least some issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.