Setting up a new box, confused on boot drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

av8r

Dabbler
My old, single drive box failed so I ordered new components (2016 budget freenas build) and everything has arrived. I've got 6, 2T drives, the recommended 16gb USB drive and all the other goodies. I've used dd to write the 9.1 image to the USB and will likely run the install in the next day or so, but I'm confused on the install. With 6 drives where does the boot partition end up? I don't really need all the capacity of the 6 drives so maybe that would steer me towards a particular config? The older versions of Freenas I used booted from the USB, but as I understand it, these versions no longer work that way.

I also have a 2T drive from my old machine with my old data on it that I'd like to copy over at some point. Mostly Plex files and some photo archives.

Sorry to be so ill-informed, but I typically set this up and it just runs for years. This is my first multi-drive install on new hardware, etc. and I want to try to do this right the first time.

Thanks

danb35

Hall of Famer
There is no "boot partition." There is a boot device, which is dedicated only to that use. Typically it would be a small flash device, either a USB stick or a small SSD.

av8r

Dabbler
There is no "boot partition." There is a boot device, which is dedicated only to that use. Typically it would be a small flash device, either a USB stick or a small SSD.
Oh ok. I thought I remembered it working differently now.

pirateghost

Unintelligible Geek
9.1 is ancient. Are you talking about 9.10.1? Perhaps you've seen the documentation link at the top of the forums? It explains exactly how to install and how the install and boot device work.

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

av8r

Dabbler
9.1 is ancient. Are you talking about 9.10.1? Perhaps you've seen the documentation link at the top of the forums? It explains exactly how to install and how the install and boot device work.
Sorry, yes, 9.10.1

I've read the docs many times. Not sure where I got the idea. It's been a few years since I've had to do anything to these (my current box was dead reliable for years) so I'm trying to get back up to speed.

Thanks for your patience.

gpsguy

Assuming you bought the parts in the linked blog, we wish you'd come here for a second or fifth opinion, before buying the equipment.

Even the blog's author states that we don't recommend the use of non-ECC RAM.

"The controversy being that I’m an advocate of using Non-ECC RAM with FreeNAS/ZFS, especially on cost-conscious builds like this EconoNAS. Many, especially a vocal majority of the FreeNAS forum, don’t agree with this sentiment and think that ECC RAM is an absolute requirement for use with ZFS."

... and I want to try to do this right the first time.

av8r

Dabbler
Assuming you bought the parts in the linked blog, we wish you'd come here for a second or fifth opinion, before buying the equipment.

Even the blog's author states that we don't recommend the use of non-ECC RAM.

"The controversy being that I’m an advocate of using Non-ECC RAM with FreeNAS/ZFS, especially on cost-conscious builds like this EconoNAS. Many, especially a vocal majority of the FreeNAS forum, don’t agree with this sentiment and think that ECC RAM is an absolute requirement for use with ZFS."
Yes, that was a concern, but even though I've run Freenas on boxes with non-ecc ram for years, I did change the mobo and memory just in case.

I appreciate you pointing that out. Thanks

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler

Levene

Dabbler
People on Reddit link to his stuff like he speaks the gospel.
Plus the link on this page which people like me click on without thought: upload_2016-10-27_20-49-47.png

danb35

Hall of Famer
I'd like to know how that moron got the first search result on google
I don't know how relevant it is, but his posts (including this one) have been linked in iXSystems' FreeNAS newsletter in the recent past.

av8r

Dabbler
I don't know how relevant it is, but his posts (including this one) have been linked in iXSystems' FreeNAS newsletter in the recent past.
I suspect his "anyman's" approach to writing on tech subjects appeals to a broad audience who might otherwise be scared away from a project like this. I'm sure he drives traffic to the Freenas site (and his own)

Ericloewe

Server Wrangler
Well, that certainly doesn't help. I'm getting really tired of people showing up because they were misled by actions promoted by iX's marketing department.

Stux

MVP
Anyway,

Back on topic, you probably want to boot your FreeNAS off USB.

You should use two, for redundancy.

This works well because the FreeNAS install process is to install the installer onto a USB, boot that, then install FreeNAS onto another USB.

Buy a second USB. Install FreeNAS from your first USB onto that, then boot off the second.

When the second is booting add the first as a mirror, following the manual.

Stux

MVP
Yes, well, it's even easier if you just select two devices at install time. This also avoids any issues with slightly mismatched sizes.

That requires three USBs, assuming USBs.

Good point on mismatches though.

Stux

MVP
True. Was the point to only require two in total? I didn't reread the whole thread.

Yes :)

"I've bought a USB and installed FreeNAS ISO to it, but what does it boot off? The pool?"

Paraphrasing

My answer was you need to buy another USB.

Status
Not open for further replies.