setting up a bridge network on truenas scale is this Broken?

Mkubiak402

Dabbler
I'm Trying to setup a network bridge on my Quad port Nic to reduce some bottlenecks and this seems to be completely broken.
When I get all the settings in and Click the 60 sec test. at that time all 4 of the computers connect online but the Web UI is locked up so there is no way to save it.
then the 60 sec timer times out it then auto Reverts the changes drops me back to the login.

I'm connecting 4 other Computers to this thing directly I don't have a switch that is capable of link aggregation
there are 6 interfaces 2 on the board and 4 on the Quad Intel NIC. i want to connect 4 computers 1 per port on the Quad NIC so each PC had a 1 gig connection to the TreuNAS server

Last edited:

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
When I get all the settings in and Click test for 6 secs all 4 of the computers connect online but the Web UI is locked up so there is no way to save it. then the 60 times out it then auto Reverts the changes drops me back to the login..
I would recommend leaving it at the default 60 seconds...

Are you moving the IP address from the NIC to the Bridge when you make the change?

Mkubiak402

Dabbler
I would recommend leaving it at the default 60 seconds...

Are you moving the IP address from the NIC to the Bridge when you make the change?

I dot know what you are talking about changing the default 60 seconds???

I'm not running any thing in a VM TrueNAS running on its own hardware.

1678789612577.png

Last edited:

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
I dot know what you are talking about changing the default 60 seconds???
I see you edited your post to show 60 rather than 6 seconds as it was originally... that's what I meant.

I'm not running any thing in a VM TrueNAS running on its own hardware.
The documentation I linked to refers to how to set up a bridge (VM or not).

I see from your screenshot though, that you don't understand what you're doing.

Adding (presumably all) 5 interfaces to a bridge won't get you anything useful. Actually you probably don't even want a bridge.

Did you want to set up a LAGG interface (bond in Linux terms)... which will also require some setup on your switch... and shouldn't include NICs of differing types (so not eno1 as far as I can see).

Also, depending on what your bottleneck is (I guess you just want more than 1Gbps for a single file download), you're not likely to solve it with a bond.

Mkubiak402

Dabbler
I see you edited your post to show 60 rather than 6 seconds as it was originally... that's what I meant.

The documentation I linked to refers to how to set up a bridge (VM or not).

I see from your screenshot though, that you don't understand what you're doing.

Adding (presumably all) 5 interfaces to a bridge won't get you anything useful. Actually you probably don't even want a bridge.

Did you want to set up a LAGG interface (bond in Linux terms)... which will also require some setup on your switch... and shouldn't include NICs of differing types (so not eno1 as far as I can see).

Also, depending on what your bottleneck is (I guess you just want more than 1Gbps for a single file download), you're not likely to solve it with a bond.

No I don't want a LAGG I'm connecting 4 other Computers to this thing directly I don't have a switch that is capable of link aggregation
there are 6 interfaces 2 on the board and 4 on the Quad Intel NIC.

there looks like other people are having the same problem as me

Last edited:

sretalla

Powered by Neutrality
OK, so now that it's clearer (for me at least) what you're actually trying to do, it seems that all you need to do is ensure that the bridge only contains the NICs that don't host your TrueNAS system IP (or move your TrueNAS system IP to the bridge as laid out in the linked doc if you're relying on it somehow to be part of the bridge).

Have you disabled hardware offload on each of the member NICs before adding them? (maybe safest to save and test those settings first before setting up the bridge)

Mkubiak402

Dabbler
OK, so now that it's clearer (for me at least) what you're actually trying to do, it seems that all you need to do is ensure that the bridge only contains the NICs that don't host your TrueNAS system IP (or move your TrueNAS system IP to the bridge as laid out in the linked doc if you're relying on it somehow to be part of the bridge).

Have you disabled hardware offload on each of the member NICs before adding them? (maybe safest to save and test those settings first before setting up the bridge)

ok so Don't add the NIC port that is plugged in to the Router just the 4 ports i want to bridge, I have not disable hardware offload
I'll read through this carefully when i get out of work I give it a try when i get out of work.

sretalla