setfacl: Operation not supported

Fab Sidoli

Contributor
Dear All,

I'm mounting a ZFS dataset which is a user's home directory on an RHEL 7 box using cifs automounts.

The automount map mount options are pulled from AD:

-fstype=cifs,vers=2.0,rw,sec=krb5,username=nobody,cruid=99,cifsacl,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,multiuser

When mounted the options appear as follows:

rw,relatime,vers=2.0,sec=krb5,cache=strict,multiuser,uid=0,noforceuid,gid=0,noforcegid,addr=XXX.XXX.XXX.XXX,file_mode=0755,dir_mode=0755,soft,nounix,serverino,mapposix,cifsacl,noperm,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,echo_interval=60,actimeo=1

[not sure where these have come from]

When I try to change the permissions on a file using the following command I get an error:

user # setfacl -m "u:bob:r" somefile
setfacl: somefile: Operation not supported

getfacl sort of works in that it just shows the POSIX.

user # getfacl somefile
# file: somefile
# owner: jim
# group: group
user::rwx
group::r-x
other::---

In Windows explorer I have added another user to the permissions but this isn't showing under linux.

On the ZFS box I do see the ACE.

root@FreeNAS[~]# getfacl /mnt/path/somefile
# file: /mnt/path/somefile
# owner: jim
# group: group
user:jane:r-x---a-R-c---:-------:allow
owner@:rwxpDdaARWcCo-:------I:allow
group@:r-x---a-R-c---:------I:allow

I can't tell if this is a FreeNAS problem blocking this because of the mount options or if RHEL is being silly.

Does anyone have an idea how to debug.

Thanks,
Fab

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
What is zfs get aclmode for the dataset?

Fab Sidoli

Contributor
Both aclmode and aclinherit are set to passthrough from the pool down.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
so you are not using acl's that's why it doesn't work. You would need it set to restrictive to have acl's work I think. Personally I avoid them and only use rwx even if i'm using smb shares. Works better if you have jails that need mount points or use mostly *nix systems.

Fab Sidoli

Contributor
Now, I'm confused.

I'm trying to operate in a mixed environment with Windows and Linux users. In an ideal world, Linux users would continue to chmod but be able to see any extra ACEs set on the Windows side.

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
I don't think it really works like that with freenas. Once you set a dataset as smb it changes the aclmode to restrictive which prevents chmod from working. And when it's set to passthrough i don't think you get acl's. In mixed mode I just use rwx style permissions and then setup a couple tricks to get it working with smb.

Fab Sidoli

Contributor
I see. I'm certain this is not how this used to work on the old Oracle storage appliances we had..... but that may just have been a dream.

Fab Sidoli

Contributor
On the linux client the setfacl command is probably for POSIX1e ACLs and not NFSv4 ACLs. Try looking into nfs4_setfacl.
Thanks, you are absolutely right. The nfs4_setacl command does indeed work - apologies for not figuring this out myself. I was not thinking about it correctly and blindly using the setfacl command as I could remember that it at least existed.