SOLVED CIFS Mount Permission Denied Error

alunduil

Cadet
I've had a particular share working for over a year at this point that has a slightly non-standard configuration. I've setup a share called scans that has a default user and group of printer and scanners respectively and shows the following ACLs on the FreeNAS system:

```
root@freenas:/var/log/samba4 # getfacl /mnt/volume-7e99f60b-f655-4fd1-b03a-099d965d2e30/scans/
# file: /mnt/volume-7e99f60b-f655-4fd1-b03a-099d965d2e30/scans/
# owner: printer
# group: scanners
owner@:rwxpDdaARWcCos:fd-----:allow
group@:rwxpDdaARWcCos:fd-----:allow
everyone@:r-x---a-R-c---:fd-----:allow
```

I've been mounting this pool into a Linux laptop with the following mount options for just as long and have had no issues creating or deleting files.

```
//freenas/scans on /media/freenas/scans type cifs (rw,relatime,vers=default,cache=strict,username=alunduil,domain=,uid=1000,forceuid,gid=100,forcegid,addr=192.168.86.91,file_mode=0755,dir_mode=0755,soft,nounix,serverino,mapposix,rsize=1048576,wsize=1048576,echo_interval=60,actimeo=1,x-systemd.automount)
```

Now when I try to remove or create files I get a Permission denied error, which correlates with a debug log message in smbd of NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED. My user is part of the scanners group on the FreeNAS system, and shares the username on my laptop (alunduil:scanners). scanners is not the primary group for this user.

Other shares that I have setup as owned by this user (alunduil) do not exhibit this behaviour and I can create and delete files from these shares as I'd expect. I saw that there was a recent change in 11.2 to the way that permissions on shares were handled but I can't tell if that's the cause of this issue or not.

If I've left out any useful details, please let me know and thanks in advance.

alunduil

Cadet
Sort of. It seems the client had gotten out of sync and after a few restarts of the automount it worked again. I'm still not sure why it got into that state, but it is working as expected now. I'll relabel this topic accordingly. Thanks!