set jail (plexmediaserver) to use LAGG instead of gateway NIC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

master-richie

Dabbler
I'm a n00b to FreeNAS - been using it about a month. Have a HP microserver and added a quad port NIC and setup a 4 port LAGG.

I also installed PlexMediaServer and want user access to go over the LAGG - however it's going over the primary NIC. When I try to set the static ip in the Jail config, I cannot choose which NIC is used - is greyed out.

Am I missing something or is this a limitation in the FreeNAS gui? can I manually configure via FreeBSD? Or am I hosed and not going to be able to do this without making that subnet my primary subnet? (I was hoping to have multiple subnets connecting directly to the server via vlans over the LAGG)

thanks!

master-richie

Dabbler
ok so I read a bunch and found out you have to uncheck vimage in order to access the NIC dropdown - HOWEVER upon doing that, I see my NIC's that are not part of my LAGG and the vlan that goes over the LAGG.

am I not able to select the LAGG as a physical device?

p.s., I set the vlan as my NIC and rebooted and it did not work.

Last edited:

master-richie

Dabbler
I'm pretty sure that the current jails implementation does not support lagg.

when you say "current jails", do you mean that previous versions were able to and 9.3 does not have that ability yet but wait for an update sometime in the future or do you mean that it's never been able to and cross my fingers + make a wish that someday it will .... ?

master-richie

Dabbler
That one.

ty - any suggestions on what to do now? I only would really need to use the lag to support streaming media content and since plexmedia get built inside a jail (as a plugin) I'm kinda at a loss here

SweetAndLow

Sweet'NASty
Can you max out a single pipe with your current client workload? Streaming doesn't use a ton of bandwidth.

master-richie

Dabbler
Can you max out a single pipe with your current client workload? Streaming doesn't use a ton of bandwidth.

the technical answer to that is most likely no ... I guess I'll ponder a little and maybe split the NIC into two LAGGS - one for business and one for home use ??? then use plex over the NIC that's not assigned to a LAGG ??sighs ....

Status
Not open for further replies.