server video options, integrated v pci express, low power video options

afge23

Cadet
This is a three part question. First, for example with the Xeon Kaby Lake-S series, there are more xeons without integrated graphics than with integrated graphics. Is this because with a baremetal server, there is improved stability and performance to run without graphics drivers? The GPU appears to only increase the processor tdp by 1 watt.

Second, if trying to build a low energy server system, but one which has graphics capability, is it better to use integrated intel graphics or a pci express graphics adapter. Is there a benefit of one over the other in any purpose, possibly when dealing with KVM switches (such as faster and more stable switching)?

Third, considering that intel integrated graphics is capable of high resolutions and performance, is there any benefit to using a pci express graphics module for a rack server, one that will not be running a multi monitor display setup. For instance, the TDP difference of an integrated graphics is 1 watt, but when using a Geforce 710 unit, it is 19-25 watts, with quadros at 30-40 watts easily. Are there any other brands of server GPU to consider besides amd/nvidia? Are matrox cards basically obsolete at this point? Ive noticed matrox cards dont even list TDP.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Are matrox cards basically obsolete at this point? I've noticed matrox cards don't even list TDP.
Your question is unusual because it doesn't take into account that true server system boards have an integrated graphics chip that is connected to their IPMI interface to provide KVM over IP functionality. Here is a demo video I made to show some features of the integrated KVM over IP function of the true server board:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPv_ikws7A0
There is no need for any video card (or Intel integrated graphics) in a FreeNAS server that has integrated video as the video is only ever used for initial configuration. After that all management is done by SSH session to a terminal or through the web-GUI.

afge23

Cadet
Thank you, Chris. you are correct that one of my boards does have an ast2400 and the other does not, being as this is more of a workstation type board than server board.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Thank you, Chris. you are correct that one of my boards does have an ast2400 and the other does not, being as this is more of a workstation type board than server board.
I am guessing that your plan is to build with something you already have instead of purchasing server gear?
There is no advantage in FreeNAS to any type of integrated or discrete GPU. FreeNAS only uses a video adapter to generate a text console on the local monitor. Nothing else at all, even in jails or VMs hosted inside FreeNAS can use a GPU on the FreeNAS system.

kdragon75

Wizard
Well technically bhyve supports PCI pass though but this is not "enabled" in FreeNAS.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
Well technically bhyve supports PCI pass though but this is not "enabled" in FreeNAS.
I think that is a choice from the development team, perhaps because they (or the management) want to keep the VM usage light-weight and try to keep the focus of the system on the NAS aspect instead of on virtualization. Pure speculation on my part.

kdragon75

Wizard
I think that is a choice from the development team, perhaps because they (or the management) want to keep the VM usage light-weight and try to keep the focus of the system on the NAS aspect instead of on virtualization. Pure speculation on my part.
I always got the feeling they wanted to be some spiffy "hyper converged" "cloud platform" used to drive "synergy across the business" or some other equally nonsensical marketing lingo.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I always got the feeling they wanted to be some spiffy "hyper converged" "cloud platform" used to drive "synergy across the business" or some other equally nonsensical marketing lingo.
Are those quotes from the "about us" page:
https://www.ixsystems.com/about-us/

You know, they make their own line of servers also, not just TrueNAS and FreeNAS. They are trying to make money like any other biz, gotta pay the bills.

kdragon75

Wizard
Are those quotes from the "about us" page:
https://www.ixsystems.com/about-us/

You know, they make their own line of servers also, not just TrueNAS and FreeNAS. They are trying to make money like any other biz, gotta pay the bills.
I get that. I just feel the project has fallen victim to years of lack of direction and focus. FreeNAS could be so much better. If they want to build a storage system, stop adding crap that has nothing to do with storage.

Chris Moore

Hall of Famer
I get that. I just feel the project has fallen victim to years of lack of direction and focus. FreeNAS could be so much better. If they want to build a storage system, stop adding crap that has nothing to do with storage.
A lot of the features in FreeNAS are based on what people have asked for. TrueNAS, is much more focused on storage and leaves out many of the fluffy features that home users might want. I would actually prefer to have TrueNAS at work but I couldn't get my organization to buy the hardware and you must buy the hardware to get TrueNAS.